asking all German shepherd owners

Our new adopted  German shepherd  needs some toys so she can be reassured while she is left for a few hours , she has added company of other two dogs but gets bored .the toys she came with I don't rate as they are falling apart .I have taken them away from her .

What brand etc of toys do other German shepherd owners buy and where from etc have a Kong on order  but wanted to get her more different toys.but which are safe and indestructible.would appreciate  some good advice please. 

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

I have a dachshund that is a powerful chewer, all I can use are nylabone but only the ones without any plasticy bits. They come in different sizes and they last him about three months, anything else lasts about two minutes and then he swallows them. The bits from the nylabones come off in rice size peice and can easily pass through without harm

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,558

Have a look at Kong products - they are virtually indestructible.
    I have a young collie x retriever that is full of energy. I cram a mini-sausage roll into a kong and it takes her an hour or more to get it all out.
    Some low-fat cream cheese smeared inside does the same - only a teaspoon-full is needed.

The Kong wobbler is also good, put some treats in, close the top and watch as yr dog learns to wobble it and get to the treats.

These products also teach the dog so good all round. Just don't stuff too much into them, and give her a little less dinner to compensate.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

I don't have a german shephard, but have gone through MANY toys with my dogue de bordeaux.  I have found that boomer balls are pretty indestructable, but if you like your skirting boards, this is probably best as an outdoor toy.    Babble balls are also brilliant, there is one that makes animal noises, and another that talks....hours of entertainment, but these are best kept indoors as they don't like being buried or dropped in paddling pools/puddles.     Bought mine a NERF squeeky rugby ball few weeks ago thinking that it would last a day at most which would have been great cause it really has the loudest most annoying squeek that I and my neighbours have ever heard!  Unfortunately, this toy seems to be indistructable image    good luck with your new addition 

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

you need something like 'Kong' toys, they are worth the money in the long run as they are pretty indestructable. I have a staffordshire bull terrier and previously a boxer and they both would decimate normal toys in minutes. Kong toys have a hole in the centre so you can put things like peanut butter/cream cheese inside and put it in the freezer and give it to him when you go out to keep her occupied, i used to wedge in carrots (as all mine love fruit & veg(no grapes though as very bad for dogs) chunks of cheese, really wedge them in though and it's like a puzzle for them, too small and they just drop out, you can get them at most pet shops in the appropriate size for your dog.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,227

I have owned 3 GS's and would only recommend Kong toys.   The dog may also like a piece of your clothing, an old cardigan for instance to have in her basket or whatever. 

As she has been adopted she may have other issues like separation anxiety so I would address her other problems quickly as a toy will not fix the problem.  

They are brilliant dogs and very loyal and obedient but if you get one with problems (as I had with one) you will have to work really hard with her.    

I think maybe she will settle down in a while especially as she has the company of other dogs.  They are quick learners as you know.    Good Luck ! 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,804

Runnybeak 1  ( I think it 'is the seperation anxiety issues   , she  never leaves our side until night time and that's no problem .

she will  chew the door when we leave her with the others in the day time .the longest we have left her is two hours .I'm worried she will cause harm to herself.

I have just ordered a red Kong from Amazon for £13 ,  

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

to help with the separation anxiety it would be a very good idea to start shutting doors in between you and her when going into another room to let her get used to separation, letting her follow you around is increasing the separation issues.when you do go out leave a scarf or tshirt you have been wearing on the doorknob on the other side of the door so she can smell you still, if you do the door shutting thing while you are at home and she gets used to it, she will be fine when you eventually leave her with just the tshirt on the other side, when she gets used to that then you will no longer have to leave the tshirt.

when going out, make it as fuss free as possible, do not make a big thing of leaving with saying goodbye, petting her or giving her a worried goodbye girl you will be fine face, this all increases the anxiety.

If you do not have to work & have the time, you can work on leaving her a little at a time

go out for 10 minutes, not saying goodbye or petting, even if you have to park just up the road (or walk if you don't normally use a car) and then come back, again do not make a fuss of her on your return, just go about your business

do this gradually increasing the time she is left, if you have other members of the family at home ask them to do this also, especially upon leaving her.

I have had many rescue dogs and believe me it will pay off in the end and she will be happy to be left.

good luck image

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

If she's getting stressed when you go out, start going out for really short periods of time, as little as a minute at first.  When you come back in, don't make a fuss of her until she is calm so that she doesn't associate being stressed with getting attention.  Build up the time you are gone and she should soon realise that you are going to come back and her stress levels should reduce when you are out.  

Not everyone agrees with it, but crate or cage training can be a godsend for destructive and anxious dogs.  If you do it right, the dog should see the cage as their den.  I used a cage when mine was a pup and he loved it.   a good walk before hand, then into the cage with a treat and he would go for a sleep until someone came home to let him out.  He would take himself into it when he was sleepy, or wanted peace and quiet if there were a lot of people in the house.  

You could also get a behaviourist in to help you.  Your vet would probably be able to recommend someone good in your area.   

• granmagranma Posts: 1,804

Thank you everyone I've had some very good advice from you all.

Now to put it into practice !!image

Time and time again I say to OH that I don't know what I'd do without the.   "good , not met friends"    on here . And I mean every word of it .

Thanks again, gran x

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,545

Sanjy and lily are absolutely right, the owner puts the anxiety in the dog.

we paid for a trainer, one to one with ours, and when he first visited, he bought the cage with him.

finnigan loved the cage, whenever we were getting ready to go out, and it wasn't walking clothes on, he would put himself in the cage. Or if anyone came to the house that he didn't know, he would go in the cage, they are not cruel, it's their security.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.