Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pruning cotoniasta

Hi. I have an unruly cotoniasta (excuse spelling!). Can anyone tell me when the best time of year to prune it back would be please. You read books and they say 'not nessecary to prune'. Well, this one is nessecary!

Thanks in advance.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hi pas2 image

Whichever type of cotoneaster you've got - there are several http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3338891/How-to-grow-the-best-cotoneasters.html

they're pretty tough and you won't kill it by cutting it back at any time of year.  However if you want to get the most out of the colourful berries I'd do any major pruning late winter/early spring.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• pas2pas2 Posts: 11

Thanks Dove. Not sure which sort it is. Will do a bit of investigation! I'll leave it now until the spring so the birds get the best of the berries.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954
    I wish it was spelt like that pas2. Would have stopped me thinking it was pronounced cotton - easter for so long....