Daffodils

Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108
Any idea how a daffodil has managed to pop up in the middle of the lawn. It has a flower bud on it. Lived here about 7 years and don't recall seeing anything there before. Puzzled......

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,250

They take quite a while from seed, maybe you missed the young leaves developing in the grass. 

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,344

I've just seen an unexpected crocus due to pop up in the lawn. Every year Spring is a surprise to me but this one I know I wouldn't haven't planted there.

• So it is possible to grow them from seed if you don't mind waiting a few years for flowers?

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108
    Yes, crocus pop up everywhere in my garden. Perhaps the leaves of the developing daffodil were mown out each year. If so I'm surprised the bulb has grown big enough to flower. Love surprises. It's going to look a bit silly, but I can't wait for it to flower.
  • hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,344

I would yes GG, although not tried it myself. I often wonder how the lovely drifts of spring flowers that we see in hedgerows etc get to be there in the first place.

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108
    I usually dead head all the daffs but might leave a few and collect some seeds this year.
  • TesniTesni Posts: 147

What a lovely surprise Judith! I noticed today that there were some bulbs coming up on my lawn that I don't recall planting. Not daffodils though - not sure what they are going to turn out to be.

I have got some daffodils and crocuses in the lawn that I planted - would like to plant more next Autumn.

• I've always put bulbs popping up in unexpected places down to squirrels. I planted snowdrops in my back garden for years. They never flourished, but I got them coming up in the front garden where I didn't plant them.

I've now got them growing in the back after planting them in the green rather than bare bulbs

• Grape hyacinths pop up everywhere! They can be a nuisance but I do like them, I have some crocus that a neighbour threw out in a pot they are under the False Acacia tree they've self set in a lovel drift of purple image