The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Manure-Lime-BFB-Gypsum-Green manure

This November I will have been working my plot for 4 years and I have added the following in different areas and over different periods

My question is in general terms when does the value or effect of these different additions to the soil finish

Blood Bone Fish 

Gypsum

Manure

Lime

Green manure...Phaecelia

I am planning out the 3 parts of the plot to enable sensible rotation and obviously some of the plants I want to grow wil / wont benefit from the addition of the above

? Does anyone have any experience / advice on what needs to be replenished etc

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 834

165 Views but no Opinions !!!!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,701

BFB lasts about 6 months.  Sprinkle some every year in spring and again in late summer.  Lime is added when needed to correct acidity but on a veg plot on naturally acidic soil is usually repeated every 3 years precisely following crop rotation so that brassicas are grown in the freshly limed ground.  Gypsum can be used to help break down clay so is a one-off treatment.  Any type of manure should be replenished as a mulch once a year (usually in late autumn) and doing this will gradually improve soil structure.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 557

I do try and rotate but I am a bit disorganised so spend bad weather days writing plans then on the first fine day I find myself thinking "Hmmmm those few beets will just fit in there, maybe I can squeeze a few more lettuces in before I have to clear this bit."  So, you can have my opinion but it is likely worthless  image

Something really punchy like manure so the greedy plants do well, then my compost and comfrey tea so the less picky get a go, then a scattering of BF&B for beets, leeks, peas etc. Potatoes and runner beans make me dig so I fill the holes with paper, card, wilted comfrey, whatever I have. There you go, told you I wouldn't be any help, but I do have fun image

Thanks Bob...........I thought perhaps I had asked Stupid Question No 12 !!

Herbaceous

Your opinion is valued and very helpful and full of ideas new to me 

Thank You

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 557

NewBoy2 how kind, and very polite.