A beautiful rose that will not flower

Hello everyone. I am a newbie who grows house plants and have, so far, had great success and passed many cuttings on to friends and family.

Recently, I saw a nice miniature rose in a supermarket and bought it. It is healthy and its daily growth is astounding. It has four large buds that have been there for over a week, with such healthy flowers inside that they are almost bursting! But, they will NOT flower! Grrrr! I am so looking forward to their beauty, but this plant will not flower.

Advice, please. Any and all ideas welcome, though I have read mini roses do not do well indoors. That is a given, but it is doing well, it just will not go the last step and flower!

Thank you so much for reading.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

Maybe needs feeding roses are heavy feeders. Saying that rose buds can take a while to devlope too.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

I think it is just a matter of patience-where have you got this plant situated?image

• WoolfoldWoolfold Posts: 7

I have it in a kitchen window which catches the beuatiful sun (today especially) from dawn until 2pm.

What I failed to mention is these are the second round of buds. In a past life, I was a county-champion dahlia grower and show'er and am used to 'bringing on' the best buds. With this in mind, I removed the whole first lot that wouldn't flower, fattened the plant up a little by topping it, and these are the second tranche odf buds, so it is definitelty not a patience issue! It is an 'EEEEEK' issue!

Thanks.

Sorry, I failed to respond to the feeding question. I read that flowering roses need permanently watering, not far short of boggy soil, so I put 6 drops of Baby-Bio to a small watering can and keep it topped-up in the saucer so it can draw the water as it needs it.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

I think you are treating it to well-dont understand why you removed the first set of buds to be honest-this plant wants to flower -you seem to keep stopping it-treat it mean-it wants to flower to set seed-if it thinks it is on the way out -it will do that

Seems to be in the right spot -let it get on with itimage

I will do as you say, sotongeoff, and leave it for a few more days. The first set of buds went through the whole life-cycle; they burst to flowering, but didn't, stayed in that state for a week until the flowers would start to whither normally, then began to turn brown, when I nipped them, so I definitely didn't jump the gun but genuinely have a plant that goes through normal life-cycles, but forgets to flower!

There is a genuine reason for this, I am sure. It cannot possibly be a first-time-it-ever-happened thing!

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

I think it might be a patience issue, rose buds can take a while to mature inside. You can't expect it to bud and flower within a week, especialy in this weather, even if its on a windowsill, its mild cloudy weather. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

I think it mght have something to do with length of daylight etc.  When you bought the plant it will have been raised under artificial conditions with long periods of 'daylight' to bring it into bud.  Even daylight from sunrise until 2am will not have been of the intensity of light needed to get a rose to flower.    I think it will do better when we get better light conditions, and even better still outside or in a conservatory or greenhouse.  

It's worth remembering that dahlias are late summer/autumn flowering plants, and are stimulated to flower by shortening daylength, whereas roses are late spring/summer flowering and need lengthening days to flower.  

Having been brought from nursery conditions under intense 'Gro-lights'  with long 'day-length' to a shorter period of daylight will have confused it no end.

Also, I'd cut back a bit on the watering.  I agree that when in flower roses need water to keep the petals 'plumped up', but yours isn't flowering yet.  Let it dry out just a little bit, then with the lengthening daylight you might just fool it into thinking that it's summer, but my best bet is to get it outside under glass.

Remember that where plants are concerned supermarkets rely on the impulse buy - people go there to buy their groceries and see a potted rose full of buds and think 'That's going to look lovely' and buy it on a whim.  It doesn't really matter to the supermarket if it fulfils your expectations - you'll still go there to buy your groceries.

Garden centres and nurseries rely on people going there to buy plants - if the plants they sell disappoint their customers the customers will go elsewhere so it's in the GC's interest to make sure their plants are going to bloom when the customer gets them home.  I doubt if you'd find a reputable GC selling roses in bud in what must've been mid-winter image

And another thought, I find that Baby Bio is good for foliage houseplants, but flowering plants need a bit more potash - I'd use a very small amount of a proprietory rose fertiliser.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • discodavediscodave Posts: 510

God, thats a depressing though Verdun, I LOVE my roses and find them so easy to grow, have never even fertilized or watered them. Its a shame to think with all your attempts and knowledge that you strugle.