Weight activated basket and planter watering system

I think someone would do well marketing this in UK.

http://www.plantbooster.net/basket_booster.html

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,219

I think the pub in town has one of these for their hanging baskets. At least, the drips coming from the baskets did look like tap water.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

Surprised Hozelock haven't done this already to link into their irrigation systems with drippers rather than using a timer control unit on the outside tap.

It does look interesting, but I'm not sure how practical it would be unless your plants were located in a small area with a water feed.

• I came across the site because I had made something similar myself, but using an extension spring balance, as I was interested in how much water to add to maintain moisture levels. I gravity feed water from a plastic box on a flat roof. My next version will use compression springs, which means that the basket will be a foot higher up! So much easier if I could buy one without paying $40 postage.
  • paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

That sounds like an interesting solution John.

I've often wondered if there is something that would work for self watering individual plants based on a counterweight system, something akin to kitchen balance scales in reverse: I was thinking on the lines of holding a pot by it's rim over a water reservoir and then as the pot gets lighter it is automatically moved down into the water until it is heavy enough to move back out.