broken greenhouse pane

My daughter broke one pane of glass on the greenhouse.

I can't seem to find replacement panes anywhere.

I need a 61cm x 61cm x 0.3cm pane.

The best I can find is Wickes has perspex for £13 which I can then cut to size.

Any ideas how to source a replacement?


  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,962

    Yellow pages for glazier in your area?

    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,993

    I managed to smash 2 while putting my g/house up a couple of yrs ago
    As hogweed says look for a local glazier.
    I gave them the size and they quoted me for horticultural glass and a better quality. I went for the horticultural, I think it was about £5 each they cut it while I waited about 5mins.
    The horticultural glass that I got was not entirely smooth for want of a better description, things look a bit 'wavy' through it, but it's fine, and quite a bit cheaper

    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

    Our garden centre sell them ready cut.

    they do sell greenhouses though.

    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,240

    Greenhouses are generally still measured in imperial units so also look/ask for 2ft x 2ft greenhouse glass.  You can get acrylic replacements online - google "2ft x 2ft x 3mm Acrylic" - at about twice the price of glass from a glazier.

    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

    I've had to get a lot of replacement glass - glaziers are your best bet, just tell them you need such and such measurement of greenhouse glass. My place charges about £3 for that size 

  • paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

    Glass in my area is now ridiculously expensive, so now when my glass panels break I replace them with polycarbonate: B&Q sell a 61cm (2ft) wide by 125cm (just over 4ft) long, 4mm thick twin wall polycarbonate sheet for £9.25  - these usually can be found in the builders area where the larger polycarbonate roofing sheets are and are not in the garden centre area where the greenhouses are.

    They are are perfect width for my greenhouse and you can cut the sheet to whatever length you want using a sharp stanley knife: you could replace two standard size glass panels with one full length of polycarbonate (after trimming off a few cm's) and then you have a spare piece of glass.

    Polycarbonate doesn't have the same strength as glass though - see this thread for more info...

    in the end, I did something similar, but drilled through the polycarbonate sheet and through the frame in that section only (as I have mixed glass/polycarbonate and not wholly polycarbonate) and cabled tied it in as well as using the regular W clips.

    Cheers Paul.

Sign In or Register to comment.