wood pidgeons

i  have   vegetable   patch    mainly  well  matured cabbages,cauliflowers  and  sprouts

i  am  having  trouble  with  wood  pigeons  they  have  nearly  cleared  my  crop  the  area  is  to  big   to  cover  with  netting   any   ideas  to  solve  my  problem

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

Netting is the only thing that works for me Bill.  You could try a fake bird of prey (ie a decoy) - google 'pigeon scarer decoy' for a range.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RainbowfishRainbowfish Posts: 276

My grandfather used to net and than add pie tins and CDs on strings attached to the canes holding the netting up. They worked quite well as bird scarers when they blew in the wind.

It was the only use he had for CDs.

• RainbowfishRainbowfish Posts: 276

http://www.fotoflora.com/filestore/garden_care/in_the_garden/hanging_cd_bird_scarer_dp15.jpg

• MarkNMarkN Posts: 17

We've started having problems with Wood Pidgeons recently too - but our problem is that they are too greedy and seem to eat ALL the bird seed in the feeders in a single sitting - leaving none for the smaller birds. Any tips welcomed!!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

Mark, try stringing a wire between two posts or other points and hanging the feeders from the wire, at least a metre from either end.  That also helps deter squirrels, too.  I had to remove the trays I fitted to the bottom of my feeders as the woodpigeons had learnt how to land and balance on the trays.  It's a constant battle trying to outwit them as they are intelligent birds and learn new tricks fast!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

Every year more pidgeons image. They breed like rats. In early spring they start eating the fresh leaves  and blossom from my fruit trees.

And pidgeons bring peace, well not in my garden anyway.

This year I tied up garlands off aluminium foil in the branches. They make a bit of noise, move in the wind and sparkle in the sun and that was quite succesfulll.

It now keeps away the blackbird from the ripe cherries

• MarkNMarkN Posts: 17

Thanks Bob, i'll have a think about it - it's such a shame as the birdfeeder looks lovely hanging in the tree in our garden, where we can watch the little birds come and go.

• In my experience the only solution is a shotgun.

Wood pigeons strip my fruit trees of buds before they blossom. They even munch away on the young leaves on our neighbour's ash tree. They regularly break the bird feeders with their clumsy flapping.

I've tried the decoy bird of prey, the CDs, the wind chimes,  etc etc etc.

The only good thing is that pigeon breast with damson sauce is quite delicious image

• Maybe you are hanging out the wrong CD's. May I suggest some jazz or even some horrid country and western discs!
  • Suz3Suz3 Posts: 105

This morning I was dead proud of my rapidly growing cabbage....tonight it's been pecked to death.......if I catch that little.............. imageimage