Rose garden

Hi Folks, we have a stone circle in a sunny part of the garden. I'd like to use this area to create a small rose garden. I have some lovely old scented roses I wish to move when the time is right and was thinking of just lifting so many of the stones from the circle enough to plant about four roses and leave the rest of the stones down so we can have seating there too. I was just seeking advice on how far apart should I plant the roses? Ispahan, William Lobb, Alan Titchmarch and  Falstaff are the roses.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,018

If you consider that each rose will eventually stand about 3 or 4 feet wide and then take into account the fact that you have to get around them for pruning, you can see the need quite a bit of space.

Is the stone circle cemented? What about feeding and drainage?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 1,959

My William Lobb could easily be at least 6ft wide. I say could because I am currently growing it up an obelisk, but I want to improve flowering (I love it and want more of them!) by pegging down the ends of the long flexible stems. The obelisk could still be an option for you, but may not get the best from it! Can you not grow them around the stone circle?

• Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 117

Hi I made a start on my rose  garden area The circle I'm happy to say was just set on a bed of sharp sand.

Here's the pictures of two of my roses I'll move later Ispahan stands about five foot tall, I've had it a few years now it's been moved twice! due to extension to house I don't know if this has anything to do with how high it grows. My William Lobb is in shade and never gets any higher than 3 foot! same with Alan Titchmarsh.

I forgot to mention I am going to take out the two larger stones on the outer ring also. so I can get some good organic matter in there.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,018

The stone circle looks very smart. I think if you were to go digging bits out of it and inserting roses you would lose the idea of the circle and at the same time reduce its rigidity. A lot of wonky stones to trip you up maybe?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

The obelisk could still be an option for you, but may not get the best from it! Can you not grow them around the stone circle?

Thanks Buttercupdays:  I have a plan for my supports My hubby's quite a dab hand at metal work so I've drawn up a design I want something a bit more sculptural all will be revealed once I set him to work! The stone circle was set into a corner behind the garage.

Drat I can't get the hang of this quote button malarkey!

Yes I thought that too today Pansyface and mentioned it to my husband. I think I'll dig out what I need to and Put in the organic matter (manure) then My hubby's going to set the side stones so they don't sink inwards I was thinking of getting some edging too. I'm not so bothered about loosing the stone circle feature parse as at the moment it's just used as a dumping ground I am going to put a seat in the centre. I've wanted a rose garden for a while now and thought this would be the perfect spot in the garden it gets sun nearly all day here so the smell will be intoxicating. If we do this in the next week it can all be settling over the summer before moving the roses back end of the year. 

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

An interesting time ahead! The first picture printed shows a glorious pink rose, which is that one please?

Ispahan a David Austen Rose Smells divine typical old rose scent. The other darker one is William Lobb also very intoxicating.