Those lovely 'perenial' foxgloves being touted

BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 459

So they never set seed, however with normal foxgloves you can use root division to increase stock, think it'll work? (Or do you want me to take the plunge and let you all know? image )

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I have some being delivered in April so would really like to knowimage

• I've taken seeds from last year's foxgloves and they've grown to plants in pots which I'll put out in March but the original plants haven't kept going. I think I'm going to have to do this every year.

• British foxgloves, of course, are biennial, flowering in the second year and then dying. Perennial foxgloves can be grown from seed, too. I have looked for a method of taking cuttings, but perhaps these do not succeed.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dahlia slave, are we talking about the same plant? These new perenial foxgloves I understood to be sterile. The traditional foxglove doesn't last very long, but self seeds (even into pea sized gravel) image

• Digitalis grandiflora and digitalis lutea are short-lived perennials that can be propagated from seed. Newer hybrid  foxgloves tend to be sterile but apparently not all of them are, for example Polkadot Polly.

• I have just received the new foxglove and look forward to seeing how they do.  The plants received certainly look healthy enough and as Verdun says they are supposedly perrenial and sterile so wont swamp the garden.

• yes, yes,  we all know about the biennial, which is NOT what we are talking here, I'm talking about the NEW perennial which produces no seeds at all, however, as you can propagate biennials by root division at the 1st year stage, I'm wondering if it's possible to get extras without it costing £3 a plant!!

• In theory yes BrummieBen, I have a biennial, and have sown seed from it last year, plus I have some Apricot seeds thanks to Bev, I am also having some plants delivered in a month. I am hoping that once I have a few different ones I can do some root division aswell as seed spreading so I have quite a few of them every year.