Forum home Problem solving

Dalek Style composters How to turn?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I thought the whole point was you lever it up a few inches all round the bottom and then lift it off the compost.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I just use a hoe or fork and turn the compost in on it's self from the sides but start when it's only a quarter full, then turn it again when it's a further quarter full.  

As for getting it out, I make sure there's no creepy crawlie's round the rim, lean in and scoop it into a large bucket. 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I'm not very tall i'd end up i it as wellimage

• I scared my little boy half to death in JTF by putting the compost bin over my head and going up to the trolley he was sitting in and shouting 'EXTERMINATE!!' at him.  He was bored so wasn't paying attention, and it didn't half make him jump.  Luckily he's not a scaredy cat, so it hasn't scarred him for life.  He thought it was very funny, so now each time I empty a nappy box or get something in a box from Amazon, he nicks it and tries to dalek me back.

When empty, I can get both kids and me in it, as long as you don't try putting the lid on (I'm claustrophobic).  So when turning, I use my garden seat/kneeler thingy to stand on and get a bit of extra leverage.  Stinky job, and I'm glad I'm the extra few inches above it, so don't get the aroma undiluted!

• Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

I scared my little boy half to death in JTF by putting the compost bin over my head and going up to the trolley he was sitting in and shouting 'EXTERMINATE!!' at him.  He was bored so wasn't paying attention, and it didn't half make him jump.  Luckily he's not a scaredy cat, so it hasn't scarred him for life.  He thought it was very funny, so now each time I empty a nappy box or get something in a box from Amazon, he nicks it and tries to dalek me back.

When empty, I can get both kids and me in it, as long as you don't try putting the lid on (I'm claustrophobic).  So when turning, I use my garden seat/kneeler thingy to stand on and get a bit of extra leverage.  Stinky job, and I'm glad I'm the extra few inches above it, so don't get the aroma undiluted!

So what happened to your son after you were taken away in a straightjacket? I rolled down the slope in our garden inside a new waterbutt once upon a time, imagine my surprise when my daughter's reception teacher asked me if it was a regular hobby of mine!!!

Welshonion may well be onto something there, but I wonder if I take it off like a bucket on a sand castle, will it collapse everywhere?

• To quote Dr Sheldon Cooper, 'I'm NOT insane, my Mother had me tested'.  The JTF was in Sheffield/Rotherham, pretending to be a dalek, cyberman, vogon or big bird is normal behaviour there.  I'd have been very suspicious if I'd NOT pretended to be a dalek.image

Reception teachers are cool.  Anyone who can deal with 30-odd children, many of them being away from their Mums from the first time, has got to be some sort of undercover superhero.  She probably thought it was such a fun thing to do, she went out and bought a waterbutt right away.  People pay money to be strapped inside a big inflatable ball and rolled down a hill.  I think it's called 'Zorbing'.  Probably a polite way of saying 'paying to barf'.

• Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

a polite way of saying 'paying to barf'.

I did that every weekend at uni lol

• I use a garden fork to turn my stuff when it's half full, but as I'm careful to layer green and brown waste it does not need much turning.

I find 3 daleks suits me. One with fresh stuff added each day, one full and 'cooking', and one ready for use. I usually take some out of the top with a spade then remove the bin and put the contents in my ballbarrow, to be moved round the garden where needed. Any twiggy bits go back in at the bottom of the empty bin to rot a bit more.

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolmen-Compost-Mixer-and-Aerator/dp/B0050I2FB4/ref=pd_cp_kh_0

Back in stock, going to take 10 days for delivery but I can wait. TY Mr Figrat sir, looking forward to trying it out.

• When I ordered mine (couple of weeks ago), ordered it Saturday, was despatched the next day, and arrived mid-morning Monday.  The delivery estimate was for the Friday!  So hopefully you'll get it Saturday, or maybe Monday if you're unlucky.  Generally I find amazon over-estimate the delivery date so you'll be really pleased when it turns up early.  I never buy anything without reading reviews, and this tool had lots of 5* reviews, wheras some of the ones that have fold-out 'wings' seemed to be really hit-and-miss.