planting on verge.

LynLyn Posts: 8,409

Thought I would show a photo of a piece of roadside verge outside our bungalow.My dad started cultivating this bit about 20 years ago, planting a few snowdrops and daffs, I have carried on the tradition and have removed the old privet hedge, replacing with laurels. I planted them last spring, they have made all that growth in one year. I will keep them to about 5 feet high to screen the bungalow from the road. I have taken it along another 8ft or so last year, and as I find more bulbs and turf from digging beds in the main garden I hope to take it all the way down.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Is it just grassy in the summer? 

• Lovely! I wish more people did this - it would improve the environment so much for everyone as well as improving one's own outlook.

• It is lovely to see someone taking a pride in the front of their home and giving a lovely display.Today as I walk my area,most front gardens are taking up for brick drive ways and piles of grit and not a flower in sight.(90% )and only a few gardens with flowers.

• Did you enclose the verge, Lyn?

• LynLyn Posts: 8,409
    It is only grass in the summer but I have plans to put hydrangea's all along the other side of the front gate. I did about 20 cuttings last year that are now about a foot high so they should come on nicely and should flower this summer.

We fenced it in but no one minds and I think, maybe wrongly that if you tend the verge for 11 years you can call it yours.

Thank you for your comments image
  • I found this in the Daily Mail online.

'Normally, a squatter must possess land for 12 years before claiming ownership under adverse possession.

Making a claim has been made more difficult since 2002  -  squatters have to inform the landowner of their intention to claim possession. But if you had already been squatting for the qualifying period before 2002  -  if you enclosed the land before 1990 and have occupied it ever since  -  this will not be necessary.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1348664/HOME-TRUTHS-How-long-I-claim-land-own.html#ixzz2M8ZDn064

We had a house with an extra piece of enclosed land once. We were told that after 12 years, no-one except the owner could claim it from us and that, after 20 years, ecen the erstwhile rightful owner could not reclaim it. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,499

Hi Lyn, have a look here for the various ways of 'annexing' land.  As I understand it, one cannot be prosecuted for 'stealing' land, provided all of the rules are followed!

http://www.hip-consultant.co.uk/blog/guide-claiming-ownership-of-land-123/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi Lyn , Assuming your Councils by-laws are the same as where I am from you are responsible for the upkeep of the verges outside your property , Just an observation the chain linking the posts look like a tripping hazard? . Otherwise a very good job .

Derekimage

• But, if you haven't enclosed it and used it without hindrance, you have no claim on it.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,409

Thats right GG, I wont trip over it Derek, I can take a piece of the chain link off to get in with the mower and no one walks here, just the odd horse rider or tractor. No houses anywhere to be seen.

I think the council probably appreciate some one else tending it or they would have to.