Forum home Wildlife gardening

Creating a wildflower garden

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Hi WaF,

if you only have one Cowslip it wouldn't self pollinate. Without getting into too much detail Primroses have a kind of third and fourth gender called Pin and Thrumb, you need both a Pin and a Thrumb to produce seed. I got my seeds initially (before I found masses of them not too far away) from Emorsgate seeds. I had very good germination. I sowed into plugs in the Autumn. Emorsgate even tell you where their seeds come from, that is Dorset, Lincolnshire, Suffolk and sell 1000 seeds for £1.50 or 10,000 for £4.00 they have a minimum order or £5.00. I said before that Cowslips are or were notoriously bad germinators but I meant from the seed packets you'd buy for 2.99 and get 20 seeds at your local garden centre. I tried in vain for years to get them to grow but now I have hundreds. It's a shame you're not close by. I wouldn't rely on seed from your own plants anyway unless you're isolated since they hybridise so easily. I don't collect seed from my own anymore. I only let a couple develop seed so I know when to go out and collect some. I only collect a small percentage from a local field owned by the council. How did your Ox-eye daisies do? I've got loads of seeds I don't need anymore if you need any. They germinate very well. It'll be time to collect seed for those soon.

• HI Jim,

This is the second reply I've sent to you tonight! The other one must be floating

around in cyber space somewhere! Thank you very much for telling me about

the cowslips - I had no idea they were so complicated! I'll have a look around

in the countryside (I live in Dorset, so there should be plenty) and see if I can

find some seeds. I'll also try the Emorsgate seeds you recommende . Thanks

very much also for offering me the oxeye daisy seeds. I actually have lots of

these as my oxeye daisies did very well, but are now almost over. I'm going to

sprinkle some directly onto the ground and store some until next spring. I'm

also hoping to have some red campian seeds to collect, but I think most of

them have already shed their seeds, However, I'll be happy to send you some

if you would like them - I also hope to collect some white campian seeds from

a lane nearby if I'm not too late as they were really pretty ones. Will let you know how it goes! Can you please tell me when cornflower seeds are ready to

harvest as lots of the flowers have died and turned white, but the seeds don't

seem ready to be harvested yet.
  • Hi Nutcutlet - not heard from you for a while!! Please can you tell me how

to get my wildlower pictures onto the forum? I have some I've transferred

from my camera into the photo gallery on my laptop, but I have no idea

how to transfer them onto here and as you have put some of your wildflower

meadow photos onto the forum, I wonder if you can help me with this, as I'm not

very computer literate! Many thanks!

Hi, WaF cornflowers are ready only when all the petals have fallen, the end start to brown and open slightly. There's a small window to collect but the plant will have many seed pods at different stages. Same with Campion. You'll have no trouble getting seed. You'll want to get them just before they open or even when they've opened if it hasn't been windy as they can sit there for days unless something brushes past and scatters them. Don't worry, they flower until autumn so you'll be sure to catch some seed. With the cornflowers just gently roll the pods between your finger and thumb until the seeds pop out, obviously you want them to be brown not white. You'll get to recognise what to look for very quickly. Glad you've got plenty of Oxeyes, I looked at mine after I wrote last and saw some where just ready and collected a few to put in areas without them. With the cornflowers you'll need to turn the soil or they won't germinate. I didn't have the energy to turn any turf this year and have just one cornflower. lol. Very pretty and much appreciated though. image

Re. your photos if you put the sd card into your laptop you should be able to upload them directly by clicking on the photo/tree icon above. Still don't know what you mean by gallery, but if you know where on your lapto the photos are you should be able to upload in the same way I just described.

• Hi Jim

I really am a bit stuck with these photos. They are in a windows photo gallery

on my laptop, but for some reason I just can't seem to get them uploaded onto the

photo tree icon as you suggested. I will just have to be patient and wait untill

my daughter and son-in-law come for a visit so they can sort it out for me, but

that could be quite some time. Never mind, the photos aren't going anywhere in

the meantime! Would you like some cornflower seeds when I collect them?

Thanks very much for all your help!
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 877

WAF, click the little tree icon, choose the tab that says 'Your Computer'. Click 'Select' and then a list of stuff saved on your hard drive appears. Navigate to wherever you have your photos stored, choose the photo you want, then click on the 'upload' button.

Done!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,981

LF, those roundabouts are great ! Wouldn't it be wonderful if other councils followed their lead.  We have loads of oxe eye daisies on the verges round here, but they haven't go more adventurous than that yet.

big fan of yellow rattle here too - had great germination from the patches I planted last autumn, so will do the same in another area this year, and hopefully it will start to colonise my whole field.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

Hi, thanks for the offer WaF, very kind. I've still got quite a lot in my fridge. It's almost as cheep to buy 100g than 10g or to buy 10g than 1g of some seeds. I've learned no matter how many I grow I always feel I could have grown more. image.

Re those roundabouts, the 'meadows' at the Olympics used many non-natives for visual impact and to raise awareness. It is great to raise awareness however I think if you've got the idea then you may as well do it right and choose a mix of British Natives and benefit all insects not just the bees. After all if you don't get the foundations right you aren't going to be able to build anything substantial. It's the bottom of the food chain that supports the frogs, newts, lizards and the birds. There's no point having lovely, pretty meadow if all you're doing is what the councils have done for decades, that is, non-native flowers en mass. Don't get me wrong it's better than nothing but from 10 feet away you aren't going to see much difference but the wildlife will certainly know the difference.

• Seeds get ready for sowing in 1 week to one month. it depends upon seeds some plants takes less time some plants takes much time. when the seeds gets totally dry. it became hard and will be break by givibg sound. then we can say the seeds are fully prepare.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,132

Hi WaF, I've not been about lately due to lack of internet. Back now

How's it going with the photo uploading? If you're still struggling I can do an upload of something and write down each step and PM you.

My meadow had been a bit of a sad sight this year, too much rain early, too tall, too much wind, all fall over. Good yellow rattle though and lesser knapweed now. Also the first of what I believe is meadow vetchling. Not bad in a few places but overall a mess.