Forum home Wildlife gardening

Creating a wildflower garden

• Thanks Nucutlet I'll let you know what happens! More rain forecast here

for tomorrow - will it ever stop!!!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Yes, keep us informed. 

• Beany2Beany2 Posts: 2
    I ave always planted Red & White Champions /Jacobs Ladders / Oxe Eye Daisy /wild pansy /primroses & foxgloves from seed around Carnival season in south somerset( late oct/nov) , in modules or old polystyrene boxes cover with glass over winter outside , it works for me ! Been out today pricking out , potting on just got to keep the slugs at bay ,but I have for the first time in 3 yrs covered it grit , with a better success rate image the downside my small lawn took a hit with the lovely rain we had here in , once sorted budget allowing the garden will look great again
  • Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that today I have just six tiny little oxeye daisy seedlings

popping up. I can't quite believe it - I've waited so long for them to germinate

I'd given up. Last weekend (to cheer myself up) I'm ashamed to say I went

and bought some oxeye daisy plants in pots from our local garden centre - they

are quite big and were already potbound so I've transferred them to an empty

tub I had in the garden and they're doing fine. Having six little oxeyes , do you

think some more may come up now, or do you think that will be the lot?

Great. I should think you'll get some  more yet.

• I shall be down looking at them through my magnifying glass tomorrow morning

at 7 a.m. Nutcutlet! It was at that time today I first spotted them and I swear

there wasn't a sign of them when I tucked them up in bed last night!! I'll let you know if and when I get significant others - 'til then, many thanks for your support.

The next ones will likely be there tomorrow. Bit cold at 7am, my check will be later. Retirement has its advantages

• Hi Nutcutlet - I'm retired too - just can't stop getting up early - old habits die hard

I guess!! I'm sorry to report that since my last post I still only have one

more oxeye daisy germinated so far, but as the weather has been mostly dull

and cold here on the south coast I expect that hasn't helped germination

even though they are indoors. The first six appeared after one of the few sunny

days we've had - I've put them on a south facing window sill in the hope it'll

encourage some more. The wildflower plants in pots I bought from the local

nursery are really growing huge and I wonder when it will be safe to put them into

the garden. I bought red clover, field scabious and (because I was fed up) two

oxeye daisy plants!! I've been putting them out in the daytime and bringing

them in at night, but don't know how long I should keep doing this before planting

them in my wildflower garden - your advice would be much appreciated.

Hello again

These are all hardy plants and don't need bringing inside unless they've got very softened up. The weather is mild at present. I'd put them outside and not bring them in again. If they were mine I'd plant them but I'm a risk taker, especially at this time of year. The chances of it being cold enough to kill a native plant in mid April are very small indeed.

• Hi again Nutcutlet - thanks for your advice - I will start leaving them out

from tonight and plant them next week in the wildflower garden. I'll let you

know how things go (or should I say grow!!)