Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Use of a Propagator

I have an electric propagator and have taken cuttings of penstemmon, pinks and clematis.  They have been in the propagator for 2 weeks.   I have misted inside the propagator,  but am concerned that it is too damp ... can anybody give me any tips about how damp it should be inside it ?

Thanks,

Chris

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

They will all root very well on a window sill or greenhouse bench, they don't need a propagator.

they will rot if it's damp.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ChillibillChillibill Posts: 21
    I could be wrong but I think a propogator is fine but not heated and keep it in the shade because your trying to encourage root growth
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    1. As  the OP said she had an electric propagator, I assumed she had it on. I have never had a propagator so I suppose its a good thing to keep plants together.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

Chris - it should be damp enough for water droplets to form on the inside of the lid, so that humidity is high, although there shouldn't be any water sitting in the bottom of the tray which is why people sometimes put a layer of sand in the bottom. You should take the lid off now and again to keep the air fresh and to remove surplus water from the lid by shaking it. The growing medium should also be damp, but not wet. I've had good results with a mix of 50% multi-purpose and 50% vermiculite as the roots can get going through this easily.

Applying gentle bottom heat to cuttings should encourage more rapid root growth, which helps as the cuttings then have less chance to succumb to rotting off.

Regards Paul.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

Some things like pelargoniums do rot very easily in damp conditions, but the ones you are trying should be ok. Sometimes you are advised to remove the soft tip of the cuttings as these are more prone to rotting. This may apply to some of your clematis.  However if you are worried, it is easy just to prop up the edge of the propagator cover slightly, to allow a little air to enter. If the plants then seem to dry out too fast, then you can drop it again - it does depend on the weather and the temperature.