Forum home Problem solving

Downpipe stop end

I inherited an old..ish greenhouse when I moved into my new house. It was in a pretty bad state of repair so I am in the process of renovating.

The biggest problem I have came across so far is the down-pipe stop ends are badly weathered and useless. I have search around for replacements but so far I am unable to source any.

Please see the photo below for a picture of how the piece should connect to the guttering. Any help identifying or source new down-pipe stop ends is greatly appriecated.





  • Do you mean a Gutter stop end? If so you might have a problem replacing a single part if it`s very old, especially if it`s lead or similar. Have you thought of replacing the gutter and stops etc, You should be able to pick that up quite cheaply frpm Wickes, or a builders mechant, could save you a lot of time and money.

    Wickes plastic gutter stops here, hope this helps. gutter stop end&asug=

  • look in skips or ask where some one is re-placing old (but perfect for greenhouse)they are will to let you have them for free,just got some parts for my daughters chicken run down pipe and fittings!image

  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

    Hi Anneon,a friend had a similar prob in Nottingham we could not find a replacement so we cut the end of a plastic bottle that was a similar size put it over the end used a bit of plumbers mate paste and then wrapped duct tape its still there as far as i know , if you dont have any plumbers mate just the silver duct tape will do it unless you need a better looking finish,this was on an allotment so it was ok but worked the tape would also hold the old part in place that you already have,builders or plummers merchants,will have it or sometimes the pound shop

    good luck Alan

  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

    Is it a greenhouse of a known make?  If so the company may still hold spares.

Sign In or Register to comment.