Indolent Aubergines...

I grew some organic black beauty aubergines from seed and have popped them out but they don't appear to be flowering, some are doing better than others but not even a bud.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why, (I have grown them outdoors before) with lovely results in another garden.

Is anyone else growing aubergines? How are yours doing?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

None now. I've had some fine foliage plants in the past and the odd flower but never near a fruitimage

• Oh dear I'm not alone then image, such a shame they are pretty flowers, when I grew them years ago I bought the plants, so this time tried the seed option.  

Were yours from seed Nutcutlet?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Hi Sunshine, yes from seed. I never use heat and start anything earlyso I probably didn't give them a long enough season.

Sainsburys always have some when I need them so no emergencyimage

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I grew aubergine twice but never succeded. Pretty plants with cute flowers, but instead of growing the plants grew smaller and smaller, like a video played backwards, until they disappeared. And that was it.image

• Katherine W that is funny (the video playing backwards), I forgot I have already replaced 4 plants with ones from the greenhouse the first lot just stagnated so I figured that I had planted out too soon.

Yes no shortage of Aubergines nut cutlet, and they are cheap enough, although the ones I did grow years ago were melt in the mouth delish... perhaps I shall just have to be happy with all the other crops, enjoyed a lovely courgette cut into batons for a humous dip this evening it was lovely. image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

I've had them fruit but they were kept in the greenhouse all year.  I think we need an exceptionally long, warm summer to grow them outside in the UK.  Too many cold spells this year.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ok Bob, point taken! Sadly my greenhouse isn't really that big so thats why I put them out... perhaps I should have just potted them into bigger pots and kept a couple in there. image

I have teeny weeny water melons, doubt they will ripen though... it's been a bit of an experiment in this garden this year in some respects, in others its been great!image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

Growing veg in the UK is a bit of an experiment every year I reckon LMS!  image

I try and grow a range of things so that if the fabled long, hot summer happens I have things that will appreciate it but if it's a dull cold one then there are other crops to fall back on.  The hard bit for me is 'sacrificing' young plants when it becomes clear that they aren't going to do well in a particular year.  Being a bit of an optimist I always hope for an 'Indian summer' thinking that they might produce but it rarely happens!  Putting all of that TLC into a plant which ends up on the compost heap seems such a shame though. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,386

I have grown aubergines and melons successfully - but only in a greenhouse.

It's tricky enough getting boring old basil and tomatoes to grow well outside here in sunny Suffolk - peppers, chills, aubergines, cucumbers  and melons just sit and sulk without additional warmth and protection.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

I did grow one outside in an 8 inch pot and got one fruit so far a good size about 12 ozs, made a Mousakka last night.. Its a pretty plant and has several pale lilac flowers ob it still, but I'm thniking of bringing it inside my house cos of risk of frost.. Will they still fruit inside my house by a window ??? Anyone tried this I only have a mini greenhouse and its seen better days now...