B & Q Compost

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 394

After reading that Which magazine recomended Verve as the best multipurpose compost I decided to buy a bag , this is the worst compost I have ever bought. It is full with twigs and other course matter, also it is soaking wet I actually squeezed it in my hand and and water ran out.Did I buy a dodgy bag or has anyone else experienced this?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

If feasible-return it-this sounds like a bag that has been outside over winter-more than likely last years stock??

This was a common complaint here and elsewhere last year

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Last year all the different brands of compost I bought had a whitish mould in them. But things still grew.

• Hi ,With any bag of compost you are bound to get non decomposed bits , I always sift mine and compost the big bits so as they may rot down further .

• LynLyn Posts: 8,100

I bought 2 bags of that last week, I love it, really fine, no bits at all, using it for seeds and they are germinating quickly. Maybe you got a dodgey bag or it varies from area to area. I dont know, but I am well pleased with mine.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 394

Think I will just spread it on the garden,cant take it back as it nearly broke my back lifting it in the car where it was so heavy.

• II always buy from a local GC that keeps the bags under cover so they don't get wet.  B&Q have always stored compost outside so any rain gets in.  IMHO the quality of most composts does seem to have gone down as they try to replace the peat element.

• Miracle Gro bags that I bought a couple of weeks ago seemed pretty decent (though time will tell!)