NEW LAWN - NEED TO WATER!!

Hi all - we have had a large area of turf laid - it has been in stages so some has taken quite well even though laid since last Nov - it is a little yellow but been told it will survive. Weather forecast in Manchester is 2 degr max going poss down to - 1 today and having had at least 100 sq m laid last week have been unable to water it due to cold weather. Question is - do I wait for a few more days for warmer weather before I water or do it now even with poss frost? Some areas i.e. under a tree are quite dry du to roots etc and this has been 'down' for 5-6 days now. Many thanks Steve - ps will attach photos asap.

• Great thanks

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I agree, wait until you have warmer weather, not just one day, as verdun says it needs 5C to grow so waste of time and water until the weather has settled into a warmr pattern

• Walking on a lawn can create yellow (dead looking patches) in winter. It may have been too cold for it also, the area that looks very obvious may have been roled up for a while. I agree with the other comments, wait until it warms up a bit and give it a good water. You may have to give it a feed aswell. 

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Just a word of caution-laying turf in the winter is the worse time of year-all that is supporting that turf is the soil that came with it-if that has dried out then the grass may not recover-the roots are not growing into the soil underneath

It needs more than 5C- more like 8/9 C to grow

If it was laid by a professional company-talk to them as well-if they are the ones telling you it will survive-well they would wouldn't they?image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

I am not convinced that it will be -time will tellimage

• Thanks everybody sorry about delay as been out today - yes will do and will hopefully be able to water this week if temps rise - fingers crossed!! Steve