Flower free camelia

lilly3lilly3 Posts: 49
I have a camelia bonomiana planted in a pot in the correct compost and I think in a good position. It's been fed and watered at the correct times so it shouldn't have any cause for complaint.....but there are no signs of any buds at all and it's supposed to be an early flowering variety. The leaves are green and glossy though. This will be it's third year. I thought maybe it needed to mature before flowering, but thinking back it had blossoms on when I bought it. Any advice will be very gratefully received.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I'm wondering whether you might be over feeding it, so you get lush foliage rather than flowers.
  • I was told that the buds that flower this year were formed towards the end of last year. How big is it?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Have you pruned it?
  • There is an article in the current RHS magazine about growing camellias in pots.
  • lilly3lilly3 Posts: 49
    Thanks for your comments. Pretty sure I haven't over fed it though and I read they don't need pruning.It's about 2 -3 feet high.
  • Its not a plant that needs yearly pruning, only when its reachd your desired height or spread.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,626

Like rhodos and azaleas, they produce their flower buds in summer.  If they experience drought at this period, they do not produce flowers so make sure the compost doesn't dry out during that period and that it gets some special camellia, rose or tomato fertiliser to encourage flower formation.

The Vendée, France
    I don't think anything dried out last year!! Seriously, I've been really careful with this plant and it's had special camelia feed. Don't know where I've gone wrong.
    Hello Verdun. It's a camelia bono I'd say it's in only partial shade and east facing