Forum home The potting shed

Wild bird feeding

My wife set up a large and varied bird feeding area in our garden away from the house,The problem is its overrun with pigeons,After days of failing to scare them away (unlike them who have no problem scaring every other bird away) I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is a humane way of trapping and disposing of them.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

We have the same problem, but only two come on a regular basis. A couple of months ago our local sparrow hawk ripped one apart on the lawn, didn't see the other or any others for a month or so. Now we have two around again!! Where's that hawk when we need himimage  As far as getting rid we go out clap and wave our hands image I throw tennis balls. Other than stop feeding the other birds with food that falls on the groundimage I've put catchers under the feeders, but we still want to feed all but piddies

• will6will6 Posts: 31

Firecracker,We have tried all of your methods, We have a small kestrel that uses our trees as a launch pad, but ive only ever seen it take small mammals from the garden.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,352

Not sure you're allowed to trap and dispose of ANY wild bird. 

No doubt someone will come along who knows for sure

Devon.
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154

Are you allowed to shoot and eat wood pigeons? I bet they taste decent, but probably isn't that much meat on them compared to a chicken.

• HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154

Okay I also found this, it is a list of birds and mammals that you are legally allowed to shoot (presumably with an air rifle) on your property.

This is what you can shoot in your back garden
    BIRDS: (covered by the general licences – for details visit www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.
    MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

• My own google reveals:

'The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states that it is an offence to kill any bird - including pigeons - unless a licence is held, but section one allows exemption if an organisation or individual complies with general licence regulations.'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,265

If you get rid of these particular pigeons, some more will come and take their place.  Wasn't it Aristotle who said 'Nature abhores a vacuum'?

Are they woodpigeons or feral town pigeons, or collared doves or  .......... ???

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• will6will6 Posts: 31

Dovefromabove,They seem to be feral town birds, they are huge,They numbered over a dozen this morning,It may not be pc but they have got to be delt with to give the small birds a chance of feeding where we can see and enjoy them.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

Will - you  might find that someone in the area is chucking bread (or similar) out which attracts these flying vermin. I have the same issue  -  someone across teh road has seagulls and all sorts in their garden hanging about most of the day  image Hard to stop unless you know the offender and can reason with them.

Cheap bird food is often padded out with barley which attracts pigeons of all kinds so feeding the no mess stuff, though more expensive, is cheaper in the long run. Not saying that will solve the issue but worth a try.  

Or contacting the council perhaps?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

At my last -(semi rural) house philippa, we only had one neighbour, right across the road. Every b****y day he chucked the end of his loaf out on his long drive, attracting every crow, seagull (nowhere near the sea of course) and magpie for miles around. The greedy buggers then hopped across to our garden to nick the bird food... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....