Aubergines in a greenhouse

2»

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 845

This is the first year I've actually been successful with aubergines, although I've tried several times before. I think it's partly because I now have 2 greenhouses so was able to give them a lot more space.

I also grow tomatoes, peppers and chillies (in one greenhouse) and cucumbers and melons with the aubergines. All really prolific this year except the melons which I started too late. I currently have 4 melons which are only half way to fully grown and are unlikely to ripen at this stage.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,124

Two greenhouses!? No wonder you are the singing gardener, respect and envy! I have an 8'x6' and if I'm not careful when I'm harvesting I can snap stuff off as I am a bit bigger than most of my plants.

The theory was that with 2 greenhouses I could have different growing conditions so the one with the melons and cucumbers is kept more humid than the one with tomatoes and chillies. Not sure it's entirely worked out that way but I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

And that is what makes it such fun isn't it? If I am honest I prefer proper dirt that I can dig and recycle but just seeing things grow is brilliant and eating the fruits (or in my case mostly vegetables) of my labours is the best.

This is the first year since my husband passed away that I have grown aubergines so I have probably not been nurturing enough, they are a bit 'exotic' for my kind of gardening (more his style) but melons? Magnificent!

Still not had great success with melons. Last year I picked them before they had ripened because I didn't realise they don't get any sweeter once they are picked and this year they were too late because I didn't sow them until the end of April. Next year is the one to watch I hope!

The final crop of this year's aubergines. I only grew miniature ones this year but will try some full size next year.

More respect, more envy image and I wish you every success with the melons. It is all about patience, observation and hope isn't it? Every year a few successes, a few failures and more experience. I will try again with the aubergines and who knows? I might be posting photos next year, one thing is for sure - my family still won't let me sing!

Definitely agree, herbaceous. I've had a very patchy year with some things (like the aubergines) surprisingly good and others that usually do well have been a disaster (peas and beans in particular).

Oh, and I do sing quite a lot around the house but I'm a bit nervous about singing in the garden because, even though we're rural so don't have any close neighbours, I worry that someone passing by on our main road might think I'm screaming for help and call the police....!

Ditto peas and beans Singing Gardener, but happy I still have a full freezer and a few pears still to pick. Is that optimism, realism or just resignation I wonder?

I have neighbours, and children but I used to have a car before I retired with a really good set of speakers. Thirty miles of Motorway and some heavy metal I was hoarse by the time I got to work - heartily recommend it image