Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My Runner Beans Keep Dying HELP !!

Ive never had a problems growing runner beans until this year after 3 failed attempts I researched problems with Runner Beans removed most of the soil in my raised old bath veg bed ...filled it with new compost ,,,carefully planted being careful not to disturb the root ball on my new plants kept the root ball in tact ...planted strips whole ...tied up the beans to my bamboo sticks ..watered them in.they looked healthy for 2 weeks then 2 days ago I noticed that the plants were not looking too good slightly limp, marks appearing on the leaves white patches (see pics) I had seen this all before in previous crops ...and I had even checked for white grubs a sign of vine wevil and found nothing ...Im at a loss please help ...I know it has been a little windy in last few days but have noticed  marks appearing on the leaves too ..could it be a cat spraying or birds pooing on them ??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

They look as if they've been scorched by the sun - do you make sure not to get water on the leaves?

Also, I imagine that the compost in the bath may well heat up in the warm sunny weather we've been having and I don't think the beans wouldlike that. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jo48Jo48 Posts: 3
    Hi thank you for reply ....I always make sure I water the base only ....have a metal watering can thats leaking at moment ...and it has no spray attachment just straight spout ...and the beans are not in sun all day ...tall trees block out light latter part of day and garage blocks early sun till 11 ish ...im keeping bath watered ...not sure if wind has helped last few days ...wondering if its a factor

..just weird its only part of row really affected ...not full row ..but noticing white marks on plants not really affected yet ... thank you for reply .

What sort of drainage have you got in the bath?  Just the plughole?  I know runner beans like damp soil, but they don't like to be in a bog.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I too struggle with beans and this year the dratted black fly have just covered them. It is very disheartening ????
  • Jo48Jo48 Posts: 3
    Hi have checked the drainage soil isnt overly damp ..put a load of old crocks and stones in bottom of bath before filling it with earth and compost ....Im thinking its the wind damage just weird its only one side of planting thats affected so far ...other end starting to go the same way now ...ugh !!!
  • We have had problems this. Our runner beans all grew well and produced a good harvest until a month ago, then some of them started dying. They have been watered and fed regularly. Some of the beans are just shriveling up.  We dug a trench and filled it with good compost before we planted them. Does anyone have any ideas? Thankyou

How much water have you been giving them ... we're on free-draining loam and mine have the sprinkler on them for half an hour three times a week, whether it's rained or not. 

Last edited: 27 August 2017 17:36:36