Forum home Garden design

Help - Total Beginner

2»

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,577

Hi Tim,Kate and i got our first allotment last year,it was 2 feet high in grass and weeds and we knew nothing about gardening or allotmenteering but Rainwater Fanatic is dead right because we got so much help and advise from the other allotment holders it helped stop us making many mistakes ,allotmenteering is as we found a sort of cluby type of thing help just seems to come from everywhere, if we were to start afresh we would still deturf the weeds and grass and stack it grass to grass in a corner and cover for 6/8 monthes it makes great loamy soil, iv just put ours back into the beds ready for this years planting, i see youv already got yours ready,then we would still do raised beds as once you have done them all the hard graft is done our beds are now just so easy to keep weed free and easy to plant into. Into  the beds again good manure, and try to have a spare pile of manure for the coming years as it rots down beautifully if covered up and left in a corner your not useing, we had to have11 ton of top soil but you might not need it as our allotment was a year before just a field hence the raised beds to protect from weeds and it does work, The sheds a godsend, waterbuts \(dairy farmers will give you ex disinfectant 40 gallon big tubs they use) just connect them up  and a hose and there you go all the rest just ask on here its great and free id better stop ther 

good luck Alan4711image

sorry for the double something called outlook just took over my pc thing it seems to be ok now all the email looks different but i,ll struggle onward and all that cheers all

Alan

• Hi Tim!

Firstly, Welcome to the wonderful, but very addictive "World of Gardening" image

Sound advice above, and pretty new to allotmenteering myself                             , (Got our's March last year) and as previously mentioned, your fellow allotmenteer's are almost overwhelmed to pass on advice/knowledge!

A shed is a must have, if only for somewhere to duck out of the rain, n Jeez, as we all know only too well, we had enough of that last season. image

And one inspirational piece of advice I was given by a fellow allotmenteer was, Once you have cleared the ground, knock up a few raised beds, even if not for a permanent fixture, and plant it with veg you like to eat, as it will act as a little reward for all your hard work come harvest time and so help you becoming disheartened!  So that was one of the first things I did after siting the shed and an access path!

They are definitely a timely process, but as you have said, if you don't mind "Getting down n Dirty" All the very best of luck with it! image

I now love to finish work, go down there n potter! I Love it! image 

Tim sorry i forgot to mention the timber for raised beds  most of us here use second hand scaffold boards for £4 each deleveredimage and  our beds are one each side one cut in half for the ends, or half them whatever you wantso easy and quick.

good luck

Alan

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Tim, I'm no expert but there's always something that you can try. Do you want fruit and veg or flowers, or both? Rhubarb is easy, no fuss and we love runner beans. Grow things that you know will be wanted and if your plot is a good size, raspberries are good, and strawberries. Problem is, if you start looking at the catalogues, you'll be like a kid in a stoy shop, "want that, want that, want that", it's very addictive! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Hi Tim.

There is a web site -  www.allotment.org.uk that you might find useful, gives you month-by-month advice.

Best of luck with your garden, it's hard work but well worth it.

Chris

Hi Tim that www.allotment.org.uk  is really helpfull stuff  nice one matey 

Alan4711image

• Try and get yourself along to any school or church plant sales - that sort of thing - lots of plants cheap.  I was actually able to donate plants last year from my garden for a garden sale and from potting up 160 pelargonium plugs in spring I was able to donate about 30 individually potted.  Fun times...