Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning dilemmas!

Hi there,

Two of my shrubs are in mixed borders. They're both getting too big and need pruning, BUT.....

One, Prunus Ko-jo no Mai, is beautiful in spring and autumn but not that interesting in summer. It's also outgrowing its space a little and beginning to cast too much shade. If I hard prune it now (can I safely do this? ) will I lose next year's flowers?

The other is a shrubby lilac with smallish fragrant pink flowers and it has a Clematis Betty Corning growing through it. Years ago I thought this was a brilliant idea. I would have the pink scented flowers of the lilac in spring, followed by pale blue scented bells in summer. What I didn't realise was a) how rampant Betty would become and b) how large the 'dwarf' lilac could grow - not huge but outgrowing my narrow bed and I want perennials to take centre stage at the moment.

So....can I hard prune the Shrubby lilac (syringa meyeri 'Palibin') and if so, when, without losing flowers next year?  Also, Betty's rampant nature means she will be too big for growing through a dwarfer shrub. I could cut her back now and lose everything this year, try and dig her out and risk killing her, or live with a tangle this year and try and put in an obelisk next to the lilac! 

Neither are next to a wall or fence, I should add.

What would YOU do?

Any advice, please? image Thanks in advance!

• Thank you, Tetley! 

Re the Prunus: if I prune this in the autumn, will I lose next spring's flowers?

Re Betty: She, and the lilac, are in the middle of a narrow border so no arbour or seat is possible. Leaving them sounds good and I will certainly prune Betty in April but I do need to reduce the lilac's size considerably. When is the best time to do this without losing the lilac flowers for next year? Or is that already too late?

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Lilac should be pruned just after it has finished flowering.  Betty Corning is type 3 and should be pruned late winter/early spring which is before the Lilac flowers.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Only remove the dead heads from lilac during the growing season. A little light pruning is ok, but wait until early spring if you want to do anything more drastic.

You don't want to make the same mistake I did with my lovely 15yr old lilac... nuff said

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • She's lovely, but how I wish I'd grown her against the fence and not through a compact shrub! She's making a tangle of growth which is encroaching on the border, and if I cut her back now I'll lose her flowers. My own silly fault. Should have planted something a bit more demure! Tempted to dig her up in the winter and replant her elsewhere, but I'd probably kill her in the process!

• Just a thought: if I prune the Prunus hard now, won't it make some nice new growth which will flower next spring? Whereas if I prune in the dormant season, I'll get growth in the spring but no flowers. Am I missing something?image