Forum home Problem solving

Unidentified cherry pest

• good news

my raspberries and goosegogs have not been affected, however i just caught in time one bush with sawfly larva which I dealt with soapy water hand pick and a good hose down. bush is on edge of fish pond to help stop cats so obviously no spray. half the leaves were eaten in a day !!! kev
  • Being curious to know whether this new alien pest is confined to my own garden I gathered some wild blackberries this evening from our nearest common which is about half a mile away.  After soaking the berries for a while dozens of these maggots emerged along with just a few raspberry beetle larvae.  Unfortunately it looks like the genie has been let out of the bottle, I can't see any way that its dispersal can be halted.

In my own garden I am going to protest all the fruit crops by constructing fruit cages and covering them with fine mesh, no more than 1mm holes, after pollination next spring.  I have drastically reduced the size of my cherry tree to make this possible.  I had a bumper crop of strawberries this year and made loads of jam, now I know that strawberries are also attacked I don't relish using any more.  We also ate loads of them fresh so have probably already consumed a large quantity of live maggots. Paul

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

Good luck with the netting.  

I picked some wild blackberries yesterday and put them straight into the freezer - I imagine that'll kill any little worms - I have no qualms about eating such tiny things - I eat microbes and bacteria every day - where do you draw the line?  But then I'm not a vegetarian and I understand how this will raise difficulties  for you.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• i'm sure cider makers don't search every apple or for thgat matter jam makers so some processing seems fine but how safe is eating fresh?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

I've been eating plenty of wild blackberries this year to no ill effect - I wouldn't worry about it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AngelAngel Posts: 57

I have been really lucky this year with all my fruit. Gos bushes still ok but last year all leaves disappeared overnight so I sympathize with anyone who has a problem. Picking Vic plums by the bag full . I can't be this lucky next year surely. Swings and roundabouts so they say. Good or bad we Gardners take it on the chin. 

• Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread. I thunk I had the same problem with my Stella cherry tree last year. Can't be 100% certain as I couldn't deal with the infestation properly at the time (young kids in tow...) but having read up I'm convinced its either the dreaded droso suzukii or the European cherry fruit fly. Fruit looks normal at arm's length, but on picking it's part-hollow, sometimes brown on the inside, sometimes also brown on outside, where the oviposition hole is. Can't remember if I saw the larvae but I think not.

Apparently yellow sticky traps can be effective against both the droso and the European cherry fruit fly. Droso is also attracted to red. Argalan also sells pheromone traps for the droso. I've come across some info that neem oil can be used against euro fly, but no details on how/when/how often to apply. I've been using it against aphids for some years now and obviously it didn't stop whatever it was bc I pretty much lost the entire crop. Which suggests it was more likely droso.
    Thought of mesh, too, but how do you cover a 4m-tall tree with mesh??? Also I don't want to harm any beneficial insects... I often see ladybirds on my cherry.

Any thoughts on which control method would be best and have the least impact on non-target species? Pheromone? Mesh? What about yellow/red traps? So far I haven't found much info on how to use traps for control, only for detection. Would they even work for control?

• I've just read that adult D. suzukii can feed on any rotting fruit juices and also oak sap. Oak ,cedar and some ornamentals can be wintering sites. Also, while it doesn't like freezing temperatures, it is well established on Hokkaido island in Japan where winter temperatures average -4...-12C. There was a suggestion that they overwinter in manmade warm spots.

I have worm bins in the shed (right next to my cherry tree) which get lots of fruit flies each summer. That of course never bothered me. But given the likelihood that d. suzukii larvae spread with lightly infected commercial fruit, I may easily have put some of that in the worm bin... which also stays warm in winter... I didn't even have to frost-proof the bins for the past 2 winters as it's been so mild! A scary thought.

Saying that, they spread really quickly on the wing so I'm sure we'll see more of the horrid stuff as time goes by...

• Hi, my biggest observation is lack of bees this season although i have seen a few bumbles working last couple of days and hoverbees near my pond we need more hot weather i think?

• Tom TysonTom Tyson Posts: 3

I have just discoverd an infestation of cherry maggots. I am in Hertfordshire. I'm off to check the rest of the fruit in the garden now.  image