How to cover a slope with ivy cuttings

I have ivy growing locally in the hedges and trees beside my house - if I snip off little cuttings with the roots and plant them directly onto a stoney/grass slope in my garden will they grow?  This area is unsightly and I wish for the ivy to take over fast and cover the ground. It is also a very exposed slop facing south. I have a cotoneaster with red berries growing here - if i pin parts of the low branches into the ground will they root and produce new bushes?   If there is anything else I can do to cover this cheaply and simply please let me know!  Thanks.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

It seems like a good idea. But it might be easier said than done. Ivy has a mind of its own. Making it 'grow fast'; is not easy. Ivy takes a while to establish itself. But once it has its roots where it wants them, then off it will go.

Once established it will be permanent, will act as good ground cover and suppress weeds, and require no maintenance (beyond trimming the edges to keep it in bounds).

Best thing is to try a few bits. But don't expect instant success.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dons, what size is the area and how steep is the slope, what type of soil and how much, if any, maintenance do you feel like doing. I'm not being noseyimage it's just that people can advise you better if the details are known. A photo could be good too.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I have seen hypericum calycinum growin to great effect on a bank. Interesting flowers most of summer/autumn and will spread willingly.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/hypericum-calycinum/3287.html

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Then again round here ivy is a thug as wellimage

• Thank you everyone for your advice - (Artjak) I have a large garden and it is tiered - the slope is a strip approx 2 metres deep X 20m long. The gradient would be 45 degrees at least.  I am happy to maintain - i dont mind the hard work lol! I My soil at the top of the slope is clay and deep but the actual slope is very rocky and has no real depth to it - just maybe a couple of inches deep in places.

Rosa carriola - i will look at the hypericum calcinum.

Verdun - I cant pull ivy runners as the site was totally stripped of everything - do you mean half cut through the branch I am attaching to the soil to see if it grows roots easier?

i'll try and put up a photo.x

Here is the  pic of the slope!x Thanks

• I am wondering whether, by ivy runners, Verdun meant that when you gather your ivy to plant you should pull stems of ivy that have little roots at intervals that grip the wall. if you pull them off and pin them to the ground, there will b be several places where each stem can grow proper roots and take off more quickly.

Anything that would spread and colonise this area is going to be a bit of a thug and will eventually need control.

• That makes sense Gardening grandma - I will cut longer lengths of ivy and peg them in several places along the slope - I dont mind the maintenance at all, its the ugly slope i hate looking at!  thank u.