Forum home Wildlife gardening

Do frogs or toads make sounds in the UK?

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,857

Several times today while sitting near the pond I heard a sound that reminded me of frog sounds I have heard, but not in this country.

It was a low toned ug-gug-gug-gug-gug if that makes senseimage

Never heard this before from a UK frog but that's what it reminded me of. I couldn't see what was making the noise, it seemed to be coming from either the edge or the surface of the pond...

Any ideas, folks?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,122

Yes they do, especially in the mating seasonimage

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,857

Cool- I've heard them squeak in the past but not this - glad to hear that it's a citizen frog and not some mad escaped petimage

Cheers Nutimage

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i wish this forum had a 'like' button edd image

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

I've only heard it the once, but frogs make very odd noises when a strimmer goes over them image

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Could it be a cricket?  

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,499

Frogs are vociferous in their mating season and, quite often, the odd one or two like to have a quick "growl" in the early summer too.

One thing I did notice tho was that French frogs do seem noisier than English ones.  Probably a "cultural" thingimage

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,857

I've almost forgotten the sound now but I don't think it was a cricket, at least the ones I have heard before as the noise wasn't high or 'whirring' - interesting suggestion though Pam, thank youimage

My first thought was frog and they are lurking about in the garden - never heard this sound before though. Thanks for the info Philippaimage

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Was only a thought Victoria. Sadly, although I didn't  think there was anything wrong with hearing, can't hear crickets now although my children can. Must be an age thing as I'm now 27 image.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

wish I wasimage