Forum home Wildlife gardening

New wildlife pond - what should we expect to colonise it first?

• The hopeful herpetologist says:
    Wendy Goodall says:

Great all I want mozzi larvae,hopefully some thing will come along and eat them but in the mean time going to have to fish them out till then! Dont want to be running a mozzi farm!

See original post

Once the frogs arrive the mozzies will be history. Young frogs love mozzie larva. Also, if your pond gets a good amount of sunlight and has lots of oxygenating plants in it, the mozzies will stay away. Also, think about planting the king of plants mozzies hate in the borders; lavender, lemon thyme, catnip, mint etc.

See original post

Ok thanks,will have to get some lavender planted in my border,got a little solar fountain coming off amazon,hopefully another thing that will keep them at bay,as read they hate moving water!

• Read that ya can put watercress in ya pond and it keeps blanket weed at bay,is this true?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Yep - do it in every pond Wendy I've had  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nature will just take it's course. Just watch and see what arrives.

• But read only works in ponds with moving water! So no good for my little pond,it's a still one.

• I really want to encourage frogs but fear I have too much pond weed. This could be suffocating them.

Last edited: 13 May 2016 11:27:47

• Hi all .... I have recently put in a wildlife pone and am mildly obsessed....!taking note of all the good tips here. At he moment my pond is pretty brown and has a kind of oily surface...not very pretty! I have water boatman, have been visited by some amazing dragon flies and hoping for frogs. I have very happy goldfish in the tank in my kitchen...they love the Mossi larvae I have been feeding them!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Watercress works in still ponds too Wendy. I've had both  image

It has to be warm enough for it to root, but once it does, it hoovers up the nutrients and makes a big difference. I used it in the smaller pond at my last house - the other one would have needed a watercress farm to eradicate the blanket weed! It's about balance though - the big pond did it's own thing.

Re your brown/oily situation Jo - is there something in the surrounding soil leaking in? Do you have a liner or is it a clay lined pond? If the pond's new, it may still be settling in  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Oh and can I put ramshorn snails in..??

• LongvillLongvill Forest of Dean Posts: 33
    I know this post is really old but I have just dug a pond with my daughter. It’s been bout 4 weeks. I have a oxygenating plant that is quite small but I am sure it is being consumed by something. I did pull the pot up last week and saw a little beetle type thing squirming around I didn’t think nothing of it. And was pleased to see some wildlife but could this be the culprit!! Apart from that I have only seen mosquito lava and some very small creamy coloured ball shaped things nipping around. Any idea what they might be too. 

Thanks all. 😀😀