Forum home Wildlife gardening

New wildlife pond - what should we expect to colonise it first?

• JO 3JO 3 Posts: 8

I think I will have to find some watercress to plant in our pond - we are getting a blanket weed problem and if it will help I will certainly get some.

Based on the recommendations above I have been shopping at puddleplants and got some native newt friendly plants, I've also purchased some native pond snails which are loose in the pond at the moment.

Katherine W - we have had our own female version of Fabrizio.  She turned up yesterday - a large emperor dragonfly - I got a lovely picture of her - she has been laying eggs.  If I get some time over the next day or two perhaps I'll do an upload or two and maybe you'd like to see a picture of the dragonfly and the pond?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

I just throw a few handfuls in Maureen. It floats about and then forms roots, gradually attaching itself to anything suitable at the edges or to other plants. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

I'm sure it was you FG that recommended watercress to me and bought from the salad section of the local supermarket. I remember thinking the last fact was a joke but no I did just that and it does a great job.

The first colonisers of our pond were water boatmen. Almost a year on and we have a healthy invertebrate population but sadly no amphibians other than a single frog that comes and goes.

Plant-wise we have yellow flag,iris sibirica,water lily,mimulus,hornwort,elodea,marsh marigold, flowering rush,watercress,water forget-me-not,brooklime,candelabra primula,lobelia cardinalis,soft rush,geum rivale,purple loosestrife,ragged robin and last but not least the pesky fairy moss that takes over if you let it image

• Hi all,my pond is only about a month old,it's a mini pond made out of a large planter which I buried it's about 18 inches deep by 22inches wide,any ways I put few bricks in it for my potted plants to stand on,Ive  a tall grassey one cant remember its name,a oxygenator that's a bit feathery which is just weighted down,a Veronica Beccubunga and plant that looks like little forest trees,cant remember its name.Any way I had to fill my pond/planter with tap water,which had been stood for a few days in buckets to help get rid of chemicals,it never went through the green water stage though,stayed more or less clearish but I have noticed that nasty hair algae and have got it out,my pond dos get a few hours of sun every day.Not noticed any bugs or any thing living in it yet though,hope they come soon!

• JO 3JO 3 Posts: 8

Well we have had quite a rush of newts into the new pond and a larger one tat we resurrected.  Loads of common newts and a few great crested ones, still haven't seen any frogs. 

We have more blanket weed than we can shake a short stick at - a fact that I find odd given that we do add any extra nutrients to the ponds - no fish, no fish poop and no added fish food, so any energy its growing from is only coming from the sun.  What I can't understand is given its predominance why no enterprising animal species has learned to feed off it, i.e. why you can't get anything to control it?  We have the ponds stuffed with barley straw, but to no benefit. 

I'd be interested to know what the current thought is on blanket weed - do you leave it in as a habitat, or do you remove it as an eyesore?

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

The first visible life forms in a new pond at this time of year tend to be 'wrigglers' or mosquito larvae. If you're lucky, you'll get a water boatman before long.

• Great all I want mozzi larvae,hopefully some thing will come along and eat them but in the mean time going to have to fish them out till then! Dont want to be running a mozzi farm!

• I put in a wildlife pond about 6 or 7 years ago and the first spring I had toad spawn in it, but since then nothing.  I managed to introduce newts which seemed successful for a few years, but I haven't seen them since.  Quite early on I did notice something swimming about which I assumed was a leach.  Anyone else had this? The water is clear, I have plants for cover, oxygenating and escape, there are large stones for wildlife to sit on and the pond has different depths to it and a bog garden at one end.  I just need some wildlife now.  Any hints and tips on what I may be doing wrong are welcomed. image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666

Could be that your surrounding patch is wildlife poor?

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481
    Wendy Goodall says:

Great all I want mozzi larvae,hopefully some thing will come along and eat them but in the mean time going to have to fish them out till then! Dont want to be running a mozzi farm!

See original post

Once the frogs arrive the mozzies will be history. Young frogs love mozzie larva. Also, if your pond gets a good amount of sunlight and has lots of oxygenating plants in it, the mozzies will stay away. Also, think about planting the king of plants mozzies hate in the borders; lavender, lemon thyme, catnip, mint etc.