Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New BBC Gardening Show looking for Kitchen Gardeners

I found this on the internet (original link at the bottom)...

"We are looking for pairs of contestants who have the skills and the dedication to compete to be the nation's best kitchen gardener.  Someone who can cultivate the perfect carrot, make their green tomatoes into award winning chutney and turn their dahlias and sweet peas into floral arrangements fit for a Queen.

The programme will be an exciting and stimulating series which will reveal all the wonderful possibilities that can be unlocked from one patch of earth. From vegetables to fruits and flowers, this programme will illustrate that gardens aren't just for sitting in!

We would like to hear from people who believe they have the skills to compete and are interested in featuring in our new gardening series for BBC2.

It couldn't be easier, all you need to do is email [email protected] for an application form. The deadline for applications is 9am on the 8th of March 2013.

We would be grateful if you could spread the word in newsletters, e-mail outs, social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter or of course in person to friends and family."

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Essex/Waltham-Abbey/EN9/News/Local-News/240809-BBC2-New-TV-Gardening-Show-searching-for-the-complete-kitchen-gardener

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

A few further details have emerged this morning....

"This will be a gardening version of the Great British Bake Off.

Filming will take place from April to September. Eight allotments will be built for couples to grow seasonal crops such as carrots, pumpkins, tomatoes, dahlias and sweet peas.

James Wong is a possible presenter (not confimed)."

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

That should prove interesting. A lot of people who use this forum have posted pictures of their fruit and vegetables and are very proficient .

Maybe they should enter. image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Sounds like hard work to me, but a gift if you are a commited allotmenteer

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I first came across this on A4A where it received many pithy comments about anyone being able to grow the perfect carrot or tomato if we get another season like last year.

Are these people going to have 8 allotments side by side or have an allotment provided near their home?  If the former, they'll have to be dedicated indeed to look after it well and do the travel.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    obelixx wrote (see)

...Are these people going to have 8 allotments side by side or have an allotment provided near their home?..

The allotments will all be on the same site. The precise site has not yet been selected.

Easton Walled Gardens, Grantham, Lincs, has been mentioned as a possible location.

http://www.eastonwalledgardens.co.uk/

Wherever it is, I hope they have some good security. We've seen so many tales on here about vandalsm, it would be disasterous if the site were to be vandalised.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Morning everyone image

I had an email from the local NGS organiser about the new show - I think it would be a lot of pressure so won't be asking for an application form image

Pam LL x

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Pam, what a shame - I had you in mind along with others. Lottie's pumpkins maybe ?

I can understand that there would be a lot of pressure though.

• It's Mapledurham estate walled garden.. Stumbled upon it whilst out cycling with the children. Spookily similar idea to my blog that, some months ago, I wrote to GW about! Let the competition begin!
  • Www.hjjmeffect.com if anyone is interested
  • sandra fsandra f Posts: 21

I read in the Mail that Fern Britten is the presenter