Climbing Roses

Hello all

I need suggestions for a good climbing Rose, for a west facing stone wall (see picture below, the wall is around 6ft high but i will be getting a chain link fence above that)

I liked the one they used in the 1st episode of Gardeners world last year, a yellow one morning something.

So has anyone had good last year that they could recommend (i do like the idea of thornless ones as well) Idealy like a varity that blooms for most of the summer/autumn with good foilage and growth. Not too bothered by flower colour as long as theres lots of them image

Many thanks

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

Have you looked at David Austin roses? Click on this link and click on the other links in it to look at other climbing roses.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=1894

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,677

Generous Gardener is a good one with strong, healthy foliage and good soft pink flowers that go on till the frosts and have a lovely perfume.   Graham Thomas is a favourite with people who like yellow roses as it is also strong, produces loads of flowers and has good perfume but I don't think it gets as big as GG can. 

The Vendée, France
  • zephirine drouhin is a fantastic climbing rose, it stretches to 3m in height, is totally thornless, has beautiful deep pink double blooms from summer to autumn, with a pleasant smell. a truly old fashioned rose that is all to often over looked these days.

just a polite word of warning, by all means shop around and check varieties online and with austins, but make your purchase from a reputable garden centre or nursery, where you can see exactly what you are buying.

although cheaper, bare root or freshly potted roses are not always best, and can take several more years to establish, than a good rose thats been in its pot for 12 months.
  • We have a beautiful climbing Rose called Compassion, disease resistant,  large pink flowers, good fragrance, and lovely glossy foliage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,806

This site http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/ has a really good search facilitiy down the left hand side - put in the sort of thing you're looking for and it'll come up with a good selection for you. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

Steve, I saw in your profile that your garden hadn't been touched for 30 years, so congratulations on the huge amount of work you must have done to get it so tidy.

• Thanks for all the advice guys, now to do some thinking image

Thanks Busy-Lizzie its been a hard graft, so far i must of removed 2 tons of stuff, mostly Tree Ivy which they trained up the wall image Heres the view from before

Tree Ivy nearly 10ft deep with massive branches and deep roots

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,986

I ALSO AM LOOKING sorry didnt mean to shout,got 21 month old on knee-for climbing roses,clematis too,want maybe 6 plants garden east facing,want plants to climb up west south north facing walls,also want to take up fair area of stone to put lawn down,any help or advice v much appreciated, what best to climbup through mature fig trre too

• Hi Steve,

I've got a climbing rose in a pot, about 5 yrs old now, cut it hard back to about a foot above soil level every year and it gives the most glorious, long-lasting display all through the summer. Flowers are cream/palest pink with a touch of apricot. Lovely delicate scent too. I'd swear by it. It's called Rosa "Penny Lane"

Hi Louise,

I've got a beautiful white, climbing rose called Mme Alfred de Carriere which is doing well on a sheltered north fence, Also have Penny Lane climber (see post above) west facing - doing well. Clematis- Nelly Moser has very large, papery white/pink flowers and mine is thriving on the same north fence...

Good luck both!