Forum home The potting shed

• I'm still figuring out how to try and upload a photo....think I may have found a way....watch this space.........!!!!!
  • What's a tower hamlet?
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

It's a district of London, very built up, I've never been there but would imagine no green areas to speak of.
    I like the avatars and have got used to using smilies though once I couldn't abide them. I think it's very useful to know where in the country / the world people are gardening - not to be nosey but because they may talk about the weather or plants that need certain conditions.

Best of luck with uploading a pic flowerbird, you'll be so chuffed with yourself when you do it!

• “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dove and Flo.
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I have been through Tower Hamlets-one of the poorest London boroughs backing onto London's biggest icons and only a short distance from the City-a real contrast,

Jon cob-is it really such a waste of time?-you seem to have plenty on your hands-but OK -I can live without your input-in more ways than oneimage

Nice avatar Sue-I do hope others join youimageimageplease-it brightens the place up.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,919

Yes, Sue I really like your lion.image

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,796

I really dislike smileys so never use them and am not convinced about the need for avatars.   I will certainly not be posting a photo of me.   I like the anonymity of these boards which may seem paradoxical given that I also enjoy close personal friendships with people I met through the Beeb boards and like to think of people on here - with the exception of the troll - as friends or friendly acquaintances.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    obelixx wrote (see)

... I will certainly not be posting a photo of me..

But very few people post real images of themselves.

Geoff has posted a picture of his chickens, and flo has her marmalade jar, some people have wide angle shots of their gardens, others have favourite plants.

It's more about using your imagination.

The majority of people don't use their real names - they make something up.

• I find that smileys can be a helpful substitute for the tone of voice and facial expression that is missing from the communication when writing - we do not know each other (not well anyway) and can sometimes mistake a brief reply for terseness or coldness, or flippancy for sarcasm.   image

I once unintentionally upset someone and would hate to do it again, so I use smilies to make my meaning clear.image

It is also helpful for people whocommunicating in a language other than their first, and who may not be aware that they way they word things can appear rude - a smiley would show that was not their intention.image

As for anonimity, hopefully my avatar doesn't give away too much of my identity image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh