Forum home Wildlife gardening

Moving a log pile

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,786

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there's a best time for relocating a log pile? I'm thinking before autumn?

I don't really know what might be living in there, if anything but I'm fairly certain there are no mammals, although there were mice in there earlier in the year. A hedgehog lived in it the winter before last but I think they currently just visit the garden.

Any tips on rebuilding it also? It was literally just a pile of logs but I have since read the bottom layer should be partially buried? Also does siting matter? It is going in a quiet corner of course, but NE facing instead of partially shaded SW.

Thank youimage

Vic

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd do it now victoria, nothing will be hibernating, and as long as it's in a quiet semi sheltered place it should be fine. I've seen that advice about the bottom layer as well. Apparently it's more beneficial to various beetles. If you have some leaves in Autumn, a covering of leaves adds to the diversity and shelter. As for building it I stack my pile and layer sticks in between the logs. It's always filled with creepy crawlies.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,246

Yes, do it now.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

As fr the bottom layer, it depends whaat do you want from the pile. If if it is just a refuge for wildlife or if is intended a future firewood.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Nothing will be hibernating but the larvae of ground beetles etc might be there. The big thing with wildlife habitats is to leave them alone, a wood pile includes the area right at the bottom and into the soil. We have a regular dilemma with the firewood pile, I have heaps set aside for wildlife but wildfife prefers what OH had set aside for the wood-burnerimage

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,786

Thanks for the replies guys - sorry for the delay, I went to work...

The pile is supposed to be a wildlife refuge, not intended for firewood or anything and that's why I've been um-ing and ah- ing about moving it. 

I don't have a huge garden but it doesn't seem like the best use of space to keep it where it is when I can extend the hedge and where I'm moving the pile to is a long gap between mine and my neighbours extensions. A bit of a no mans land due to the boundary line but has ended up on my side...

If I left the bottom layer in place until spring would that have any benefit to any possible beetles/larvae? At least I can move the majority of the logs, some which will go near the pond and the rest to the new pile. I could still plant hedge whips around the edge over winter...

If I find any major dwellings inside I think I would just put it back together anyway...

Thanks for the advice about the sticks and leaves Dave - I will definitely do thatimage

An update:

I decided not to move the log pile after all but to create a new one. Had a delivery this morning of conifer logs and a stump and logs I think from a black poplar.

Thought I had too many at first but they melted into the garden quite easilyimage

Pondside

I've kept some of the best stumps and logs to make a new wildlife zone but need to do some shifting about/tidying up first.

Can't tell you how exciting it was, some of the wood is a beautiful colour and has fungus brackets. Such good funimageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,432

Looks good Victoria - nice timber. Lots of bug friendly bits image

I did the same with a sad damaged cherry tree I inherited and dug out when I moved here. The big bits edge an area by the shed, and the small bits are stacked up behind it. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Hi Fairygirlimage

Some of the wood is already rotting, probably why it was felled- it's absolutely perfect for crittersimage