Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The reason I'm not weeding

The west facing front border has a lot of chickweed in it at the moment - and I'm not going to weed it out just yet - in this hot dry weather the chickweed is acting as a mulch, keeping the sun off the clematis roots and helping to prevent evaporation when I've done the watering.

When the weather cools down the chickweed is easily removed, and if it's self-seeded it won't be a big problem to hoe the seedlings out next spring.

Just thought I'd let you know, there are good reasons for not weeding the garden ... sometimes image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

My borders are being mulched nicely with sheeps sorrel at the momentimage  I knew I was doing it deliberately, but just couldn't articulate whyimage

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

I always use ground elder  - it's the best for coverage!

Anyway, Monty was extolling umbellifers on Friday. Ground elder is an umbellifer too,  and it looks very pretty with my aquilegias.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Aha, but we know that you're doubly Perfection Personified Verdun - we have no hope of emulating your high standards image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Although my garden looks a wild country garden mess, I wont have a weed in it either.  But good excuse there Dove, I'll give you that!!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn wrote (see)

Although my garden looks a wild country garden mess, I wont have a weed in it either.  But good excuse there Dove, I'll give you that!!

Glad you appreciate the creativity Lyn image

• Some weeds actually look so beautiful image

& you would not think they are weeds.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have a fine collection of what some would call weeds. I have a formerly huge, now shrinking figwort, being demolished by the fattest mullein moth caterpillars I've ever seen. If you want real wildlife (not just bees on the flowers), you need some weedsimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

I love figwort - it's the first 'wild flower' I remember learning to identify on Nature Walks when at primary school image

(It was cooler in the front garden yesterday so I went out there and weeded the chickweed image)