Overwintering strawberries

I need to replace my strawberry plants on my (new) allotment, but the new planned patch is full of couch grass at the moment,needing a green manure on it and lots of muck to improve the soil before I can think of planting anything there.

If I purchased strawberry plants now could I continue potting them up? Perhaps overwinter them in the greenhouse (like I have with perennials) in order to have nice large plants, ready to go into my newly prepared strawberry patch next Spring?

What do you think? Will my idea work? 

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I have strawberries in containers and I leave them out all winter.   Some leaves die off but enough stay strong.  I was given runners last year,  put them into some containers in August, and they sat outside.  At some point in the winter I planted some in the ground and kept some in a container.  All did fine.    Do you need to purchase plants if you already have some?  I  know you need to move strawberries every few years but won't yours create runners that you can pot up?

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Hi Watery, the plants that I inherited on my plot are at least 4 or maybe 5 years old, so too old to take runners. Which I believe ideally should be taken from 1 year old plants
    I home them at home too, in pots and baskets, and will leave them overwinter, last year they gave the most stunning display of autumn colour. image  

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I took runners from three year old plants last year, the fruit this year are lovely, not huge amounts, but more than expected, and just as good as small plants from Homebase planted in late winter. Mine were overwintered outdoors, in pots with the runners attached to the plants.,

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

The danger is that if 4 or 5 year old plants have developed any disease, you will transfer it to the new bed (expect runners to also be diseased), but if they seem disease free I don't know if the age of the parent really affects the runners as people say.

I started with 1 plant and took a lot of runners which I overwintered outside in probably 3" pots, with some fleece over in the colder months as an extra precaution (they seem to survive frost but the foliage may turn red the following year). They did very little in their first full year, but this year I have hundreds of berries on each plant.

My plan is to collect more runners from these to use to move the bed, but if I notice any disease problems I will go for new plants instead.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i just leave mine outside in situ every year and they always grow back. I did see a programme where the nursery froze strawberry plants (out of the pots/soil etc) till needed the next spring, i'm sure you'd find more info on google if needed image

• I bought a few plants this summer and planted them but then ignored them.  I've just potted up about 30 runners, all with some root.  I've cut them free of the parent plant, was this wrong?  I was going to put them in a cold frame over winter.  I know its a bit late but any advice please. I have so much to learn.  

• Now is the time to take runners............after 2 or 3 years, your original plants will be tired but if they are producing runners, then use them.

Provided they have rooted before you detach them from the parent plant, they will be fine and grow on for next year.

If you are in a particularly cold area, a cold greenhouse or frame can be used to keep them in until planting out in Spring.  They are hardy plants and don't require cossettingimage

• Thanks for your help, I'll put them in a sheltered spot and keep an eye on them. 

• Could you tell me where  I cut the runners with roots?  Close to the parent plant or near to the node of the new plant with roots? Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,341

once the baby plant has well established roots neither plant needs the 'umbilical cord'. I cut it at both ends. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh