Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

To dig over or not

Having just cleared a section of border from spent annuals and dead foxgloves, would it be wise to dig it over or wait for some rain? The ground is like the surface of Mars and I read somewhere that digging in heat/drought only exposes more soil to lose any moisture it has left.

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

For the sake of your back, I'd leave it until it's been thoroughly soaked.  I'd be inclined to put some pots suitably planted up, onto the soil so at least you'd still have colour.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Hmm...two differing views. I have a pneumatic peck in the shed to break up the concrete, sorry soil image

Oh I've got stacks of young plants Verdun, the result of sowing too many seeds. Blue Hyssop, wild marjoram, yarrow, salvia sylvestris, aquilegias, harebell and purple loosestrife. The latter because of running out of space in the 'boggy' (not any more) area by the pond. I've heard it tolerates ordinary garden soil.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Fishy have just seen the forecast, torrential rain due for most of the country, hurrahimage probably shouldn't be so happy but all the gardens need it.  Perhaps break it up a bit so the water can get well down in, then after rain add a bit of fresh compost and fork it in.  Depends if you believe the forecasters, fingers crossedimage

We need a good few days of wet weather to make a difference here in Northants. Most of my foxgloves have died off before finishing flowering, except in the shady areas under shrubs.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/gcrg49fhe#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1435915800&zoom=8&lon=-0.19&lat=52.88

I just looked at the met office radar images Fishy. I think our chances of rain are fairly small but there are some heavy ones in the south at the moment. Maybe they'll come our wayimage

There aren't many places in this garden that could be dug right now and I have the same problem as you. A long queue of plants awaiting a home

In the sticks near Peterborough

Looks like we're all in the same boat, only a metaphorical one though. Nut - to think my garden was a swamp in February when I was putting the greenhouse up image

Quite probably Verdun - a hosepipe ban I can see if nothing changes. St Swithin's Day will give us a clearer picture.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

13mm last night, not much rain but a lot of noise

In the sticks near Peterborough