doves taking over

I have a little issue with a couple of doves every year they appear back in the garden, which never seem to bother me but the issue I have is they tend to bully the smaller birds and knock them off the bird feeder and eat all the seed... ive moved the feeder closer to the house as ive just finished the canopy which I sit under and the small birds feed quite happily for a while until the doves clicked on in fact they were sitting in my hanging baskets and broke few of the branches  .... in fact hubby came out the other morning and they were sitting on the hammock  with not a care in the world ,  I call them George and mildred ... any ideas on how too stop them from taking over all together , I also have a cat but he sits and watches them all the time hes not bothered.

• annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 154

don't get me wrong I don't want to harm them just discourage them as the small birds don't get a look in with the food

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Collared doves have spread amazingly across Britian over the last fifty years or so. I have seen a pair breed near and subsequently, with the help of their offspring, oust an entire rookery. Here in my garden they regularly fly up to and "mount" magpies. They don't fly away from us until we are within touching distance. Quite fearless. And they breed all year long, it seems to me.

I haven't found them to be unduly aggressive towards the small birds though. 

Take heart, the BTO recently reported that they are finally in decline - being overtaken by the woodpigeon. I think I'd rather have the collared doves myself.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 850

Im plagued by Woodpigeons in my garden. They mess all over my patio furniture and bbq. If I put the squirrel guard on the bird feeders the wood pigeons cling onto it and empty the feeders (mostly over the floor). If I take the guard off the squirrels empty the feeders.

Think I'm going to buy a Golden Eagle and tie it to my bird feeder.

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 529

My garden has been taken over by Magpies !

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

We have a pair of collared doves who use our garden and nest in next door's hedge - the nest is regularly raided by magpies - they've never managed to rear any chicks.  We put some groundfood in a big plastic saucer for the blackbirds and the collared doves eat that (so do the hedgehogs) but they don't seem to bother about the hanging feeders. 

We also have woodpigeons, who walk along the trellis at the top of the fences and try to balance on the top of the feeder poles, and fail miserably.  One of them saw birds taking seeds from a sunflower head last year and tried to copy and perched on the sunflower head which of course collapsed under the weight - OH was in fits of laughter. 

The numbers of woodpigeons around here are kept down by the Peregrines who nest on the cathedral spire every year - although we're just outside the city, they've taken woodpigeons from here.

Pansy, you must have some very wussy magpies around your way - ours are very fierce - there's no way our collared doves dare go near them, let alone engage in 'activities' such as you mention image

As for 'doves taking over' ............. who?  moi?   image   image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

Woodies with that horrible flapping they do image there are more of them than Doves, we have 3 pairs around the garden, Sparrow Hawks make good use of the, but leave such a mess behind. The other pesky birds are the flockingimage Starlings (bullies) dashing round eating all and sundry.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    If you go to cj wildbird food. co.UK they have a lot of produced for that sort of things
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 529

Is there any way to deter these magpies? seriously, it is beyond a joke. They are moving things around the garden, leaving things lying around (bought in from other gardens) and EVERY day I have to pick up lots of terracotta balls that they remove from my pots and scatter around the garden image. They don't even seem remotely bothered when the foxes visit! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

I hate the 'flocking' (image) starlings too but they move on once they've raised their noisy broods so the little birds get the garden back. I had a pair of collared doves in the garden last year but they're not plentiful round here.

Magpies though....imageimage...although I enjoy watching them having their bath in the pond. They use it more than any other bird at the moment. 

At a previous house the wood pigeons were so fat they had to walk along the footpath and in the gate to get to the garden. They were too heavy to take the short cut up over the fence, and it was only about 2 feet high! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

Lots of fat woodpigeons around here and they often form large flocks.  They eat all of my cherries while still unripe, damage most trees, shrubs and plants they decide to land on just from their sheer weight and strip brassicas bare in minutes.  They have now learnt to balance on the trays I fitted below the feeders to stop food falling on the ground attracting rats and empty them in minutes so I've had to remove the trays and expect the return of rats which I had previously eliminated.  Nice choice - flying rats or ordinary rats.  Vermin is too good a word for them. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.