Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bats in the belfry

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

In the bedroom anywayimage

We have bats in numbers we haven't seen for years

I think they've all gone from the bedroom nowimage

Goodnight

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Lucky you! When I was a child I was the official bat remover in our family as my Mother hated them in the bedroom.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,242

Can i have some.? We seem to have lost the bats this year.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I'll see if I can catch some for you fidgetimage

Can't imagine being frightened of them Welshonion, they're so smallimage

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

When bats circle around in the evening in the garden, how likely are they to bump into me when I'm pottering about? they come pretty close, and fly really low. My neighbour told me to watch out as the phrase 'blind as a bat' means they might fly into you. He had a wry smile. Was he pulling my leg?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,716

Love bats image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Tootles, he was pulling your leg!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Bats rarely bump into anything do they. Echolocation must be better than eyes.

I think they're checking you out when they come close, I love it when they brush by me. 

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Well, there is some blooper footage of David Attenborough in a cave full of bats explaining that their echolocation is so good that they never fly into things when one gets caught up in his hair.... He was in a cave with thousands of bats though, so it is extremely rare.

This might include it (can't view videos on this PC):

• Liz37Liz37 Posts: 1

Any idea how to encourage them to my garden? Have seen them in the graveyard about a mile down the road, but would love to have some a bit nearer!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,716

Grow nectar sources for night-flying moths http://www.foxleas.com/PDF/Nectar%20plants%20for%20M.pdf

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh