Forum home Talkback

Problem with my climbing rose

I have had 3 climbing roses up against my house for the past 3 years. The wall is south facing and one of them is behind a container so has a little more shade.   In previous years, the two getting most sun have done the best.  I give a light prune and feed and ensure well watered.  This year, they all looked good in Spring.  Dark green foliage and healthy buds.  Then something changed.  The two that get most sun look poorly.  Leaves didn't fully grow to full size and have remained small, stems look yellowy and sickly, not as many roses as usual. The one with a little more shade has done wonderfully well.  What few roses I had have now gone on the other two and I feel a need to prune back well and hope that they recover for next year.  A friend suggested that it might be ants eating the roots???  never heard that before.  As always I did have aphids but I manually remove them in Spring and don't allow them to settle so nothing unusual there.  Just noticed that some of the leaves have red tinges/patches on them and there are some others with like gold tinges so I will go google that.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

We've had a very dry spring - could they be very thirsty.?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I can't see the reply from dovefromabove???  Where is it hiding??

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

They sound hungry to me 

• Wintersong, thanks, I will give another good feed tomorrow.

No good feeding without watering!

pottering girl wrote (see)

I can't see the reply from dovefromabove???  Where is it hiding??

I thilnk Pottering girl has Ignored me image  Hopefully accidentally

Can someone please explain to her that she needs to go to her Settings and Un-Ignore me in order to see my posts.  Thanks image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

If you can't see someone's reply you probably have them on ignore 

You need to access your settings and un-ignore image

• How on earth did I manage to ignore you image I have never been to those settings.  Thanks Wintersong and thanks Dovefromabove, you are now completely visible to me.  

I shall give a deep watering and apply my rose feed and prune.

Sometimes we can accidentally ignore someone by passing the cursor over their avatar, the Ignore option is there too - I once Ignored myself image

If you're using a granular feed, water afterwards image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Isn't avatar a film:ha ha I agree more water and feed, water twice a day.