Evergreen grasses

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 331

I have a large number of miscanthus, molinias and pennisetums. I love them all - but they're looking very tatty - and I'm dying to cut them down! Some experts say "do it in February before the new growth starts, so you don't damage anything". Others say "Leave it until March. It doesn't matter if you cut some of the new growth off". We live in Dorset: would it be totally stupid to do it now?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I cut down my micatanthusses (? miscanthi) 3-4 weeks ago. I'm on the southern edge of Dartmoor. I do find that cutting it back earlier helps make a neater job of it, but there were signs of new growth already. Can't comment on molinias and pennisetums though.

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 331

I realised my mistake as soon as I'd pressed the button! The grasses are deciduous! Thanks for the comment, figrat.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

Didn't even notice the evergreen bit!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,673

My garden is cold and exposed so we wait till March and then take the hedge trimmers to them but OH may well use his nice new sharp garden shears this year.   Too big a job for secateurs.

The evergreen forms such as carex buchananii just get a comb with a garden rake.

The Vendée, France
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

I have a pennisetum, possibly macrourum, looks really naff at the moment. I think its live parts are well down and as soon as the weather is suitable it will be on the cut list. Sometimes I wish it would go away, it's very invasive and flops too much. Miscanthus I'll do soon as well, I've cut the new growth too often.

I have the molinia called 'Windspiel'. that doesn't need cutting as it's all in pieces and not attached to the base, just needs clearing up. Soon I hope, looking a mess now

I'm still trying to get it out of one of its former sites. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,673

No problem here.  Never got a pensisetum through a winter yet.

The Vendée, France

I keep hoping it will die. It likes well drained soil, I covered it in fresh horse droppings and shreddings. It's not too hardy, it survived -14C. Maybe this very wet winter following the wet summer will see it off but I bet it doesn't.