Can't remember what this plant is ...

Hi

As you can probably tell by this post, am new to gardening and I also have a terrible memory - I got this plant a couple of years ago and the card blew away, I think it may be some type of buddleia but not sure, I haven't done anything with it (pruning etc) because I don't know how.

It would be great if someone could tell me what it is and how to look after it, I do know that it was more compact and bushy when it was smaller and I don't want to lose it because of my ignorance.

Any advice very much appreciated.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Yee it's a. budleia, it hasn't flowered yet but looking after it is the same. In march you cut all of it down by half. Because if you don't it will get bigger and bigger you don't have to feed it.
  • ahhh yes I remember now, I got it for the butterflies ... have taken another close up and are those its flowers?  The leaves are so soft .... so cut it back by half in March? Do I leave it until next March then to do anything?

thank you SOOO much for helping me ...

xx

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Looks very much like one called Silver Anniversary to me.

• OMG Berghill, yes you are right ..... I remember the name now ..... image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,192

Hi Renata. Don't cut it back now or you will lose the flowers. Just dead head the flowers as they turn brown and more will come. After the leaves fall in autumn you can cut all the branches back by a third but take out any branches in the middle of the shrub that cross one another - basically open up the centre of the shrub - and then next March give it a more severe cut. If you do this every year you will be rewarded with flowers within eyesight and all the lovely butterflies that flock to them.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable