Forum home Plants

Rose with no flowers

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 395

I have 4 roses in pots and for the past 3 years they have all flowered well, but this year one of them has no flowers not even buds, the plant is healthy and showing no signs of disease. Has anyone got an answer to this?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,794

Is it in sunshine/shade/semi shade?  Has it been moved to a different position since last year?

What compost is it in? 

When was it last repotted in fresh compost? 

What is the feeding regime?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 395

In sunshine,same place as last year, has not been potted in fresh compost but none of my others have and they have all flowered well, and I have fed it on a regular basis.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Has the growth come to a blind stop?if so sometimes that happens with no reason, just prune it back to the next bud.

I'd agree with Logan - stimulate some side shoots by pruning back a little bit - Wonky Womble finds speaking severely to plants seems to shock them into flowering so you could try that as well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dove /Logan will give it a try by pruning, does swearing at it help?

As I'm Wonky Womble's mother, I hesitate to comment image

Just found an ants nest under the pot ,could that have any bearing on it?

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Not from the ants themselves although nests inside the pots could indicate dryness unless they just found the hollow bits if you used something for drainage