Forum home Plants

Plant identification

binx3000binx3000 Posts: 3

Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone knows what plant this is ? I'd like to know how to look after it pruning wise and also how to treat the black spots/yellowey leaves. I'm seeking a non toxic treatment for it if possible and have read about spraying with milk and water or neem oil and horticultural soap but I'm struggling to reach the top bits and wondered if anyone has any tips please aside from getting the ladder out....

many thanks in advance

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

the leaf looks a bit like escallonia leaf, but very woody so not sure

• HCAHCA Posts: 129

I agree an Escallonia of one sort or another.

• binx3000binx3000 Posts: 3

Thank you! We've not long moved in to the property and so I wasn't quite sure what to do with it especially as I did not know what it was. I am willing to get the saw out as having looked at healthy escallonia pictures they seem lovely and by cutting it back I may stand a chance of keeping on top of the black spot. Does anyone know what time of year is best to perform this surgery (sorry if the answer to this is obvious given it's poor condition)...

Thanks again to all

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

I agree with Tetley, it will give it a chance to put on fresh growth before the winter.  If it doesn't it gives you a chance to replace it in the autumn, it might be too far gone. Hopefully not, they are lovely trouble free plants usuallyimage

• binx3000binx3000 Posts: 3

Fingers crossed It will recover. Thanks very much for the advice, it's great to finally know what it is and to be able to hopefully save it..pruning saw at the ready for tomorrow night....image