Forum home Plants

White rambling rose

In 1998 I bought a "Seagull" rambler. It is thriving and very vigorous with small, very full, white blooms approx 5 cm across. I am trying to buy another but am told that "Seagull" is a single rose. Can anyone help?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,251

I'm not sure what your question is - do you want the name of a double white rambler?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

I have 'Seagull' and mine does have small white single blooms. Does that help?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Yes. I would like to know the possible name of my lovely rose, given that it can't be "Seagull"

• B3B3 Posts: 11,558

Rambling rector?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I think it is much fuller than Rambling Rector. I have taken photos on my iPad but don't know how to attach them.

It is very difficult indeed to identify roses from photos. Is it a pure white or does it have a tint of pink or cream to it? Is it thorny or thornless? How tall would it grow if left alone? Do the flowers hang down or look up to the sky? Are they in clusters or singly presented?

Here is one possibility out of many

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=1036

good luck.image

(You may be quicker taking a cutting)

• MMflowerMMflower Posts: 65

It could be a snow goose (I have one and it has white/almond coloured flowers and they come in clusters). http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=3383 

Yes. But the words "very vigorous" put me off suggesting it.image

• Thank you for your suggestions. I think I shall have to visit more nurseries.