Forum home Talkback

sweet pea

2»

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

I sowed my sweet peas in February too and have been told they will flower all through summer image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,671

Keep picking them and they'll keep flowering. Stop picking and they'll stop flowering.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • bazabaza Posts: 644

Here is mine started a flowering a couple of weeks ago but now really coming on.

I was worried mine weren't doing anything then all of a sudden they started popping out all over.

Thanks

Baz

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

hi sown seed February and flowers are being cut now with amazing scent and far better than an air freshener in your home.

Water well and have also started feeding comfrey ever two weeks and they are taking off. beware however comfrey is fantastic once you get used to the smell

They look lovely Baza, and pansy face when you say pick them, do you pick the flowers off ?
  • Fiona DukeFiona Duke Posts: 21

Hi Flumpy, Pick the flowers with stalk so you can enjoy them in the house as little bunches of cut flowers.   Alternatively, always pick off the dying flowers or seed pods as soon as you spot them.  As soon as the plants try to ripen a seed pod they stop bothering to make new flower buds. 

My sweet peas are still growing and there is no sign of any flowers yet.  They will get there eventually. 

Thanks so much for your Advice Fiona I will do that now image

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,338

For some years I sowed October and March, found no difference at all, more convenient for me to sow in March, rather than having them hanging around all winter. Course, if they flower early, they are "over" earlier, I have found they do better in a cool summer, they dont seem to like it hot, and get powdery mildew.  Course, my first sowing this year produced hardly any, and some kind soul on here recomended a place near bracklesham Bay, they were really good, great germination, and they were only a couple of quid a packet. So not worried about flowers, yet.  Incidentally, bought a New Dawn, climbing Rose, had one before, had the most gorgeous scent, and repeat flowering, it was bought from a well known, reputable nursery, that has a huge rose selection, just flowered, and guess what no scent at all.  Cross, because I planted it up a rose arch, over a bench, with Honeysuckle the other side.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,338

Landlubber, they will flower till the first frost, if picked regularly, and not allowed to set seed, they are greedy feeders, like Runner Beans, I put plenty of manure in the pot (or bed) and mulch with a bit more.