Forum home Talkback

Cut down Perennial Poppy?

Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I don't grow poppies other then self seeded opium poppies, but one of my clients has a range of perennial poppies which are now going over and they look dreadful. So what do others do? Cut down for new foliage and maybe a second flush or leave?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,347

I cut mine down to the ground Dave and agree that they do look terrible after they go over.  I can't remember getting a 2nd fllush of flowers but they do grow back foliage which stays relatively low and often survives the winter so provides a bit of greenery.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Thanks Bob.

• I cut mine down too, they never seem to suffer and give fresh growth in a few weeks followed by flowers next year 

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I cut mine down too and am often rewarded with a 2nd flush of colour

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,118

You could try both, cut some down and leave some so you can save the seed and grow plants yourself for the clients garden or for you.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,744

I cut mine down too - get foliage, but no flowers later in the year, but thats much better than tatty leaves. Will be getting in there with the secateurs tomorrow.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Dave Morgan there are some new varieties that will flower again. I got rid of mine because they were growing in between the roses and if I didn't cut them down

straight away they knock the roses down.Letting them seed will drain the plants.