How can I attract more birds to my small, sheltered garden?

I have a small garden with plenty of trees along the back but I have only noticed robins and blackbirds around the trees, how can I attract more?

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Put up a bird feeder and plant a hedge or let ivy scramble up a fence.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    You need seed feeders and nut feeders a bird table and fat balls.
  • Hi, the draw to my garden is a stone trough full of water, even a shallow bowl would add a new dimension.

Yes you will need to put water down
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,265

If you have any shrubs or hedging near the trees, place the feeders close to those as birds will be more likely to use them if they can quickly flit into a bush etc to hide when a predator is around (cats, sparrowhawks etc.)  Hawthorn is perfect.

PS, it may take a few weeks for birds to discover the feeders so be patient. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,193

In fact, if you can make it cat-proof that's even better.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    There's a good bird food company on line reallywildbirdfood.co.uk
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

All the above OP, Laurel, pyracantha even conifer trees we have Goldcrests in. Our problem is that the windows all round the house get banged into, larger birds survive but the smaller ones end up having to get buried image the window cleaner said he is amazed at the bird dust marks on most of the window. We have put plants and structures to mask the reflection, helped but not a lot. image

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 732

Birds love dried mealworms - although they can be a bit expensive to buy.  Here, they seem to smell them quite a distance away.  They are mad about them, irresistible.  I have them in a wire peanut feeder and it has attracted a mix of small birds I never used to see in this small town garden.  A shallow dish with water is also a draw.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Also keep the feeders about head height, it gives the birds warning if the cats make a leap from under the bushes.  I was like firecracker until i moved the feeders higher, my neighbours cat just wanted to catch themimage