Forum home Fruit & veg

Cauliflower heads loose

can anyone help me, I have planted cauli in two different places in my garden and the heads are all loose yet they are no where near ready to harvest.  I am wondering whether they will tighten up as they continue to grow or whether I should harvest and use them because they won't improve.  i grew them from seed and planted out late spring and our soil is a bit on the sandy side.  I have watered regularly during dry spells.  I have managed to grow decent cauli one year but havent had any luck since then.  Amanda

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

Cauli's are probably the most difficult veg to grow well for home gardeners.  The young plants need to be really well firmed-in to produce dense, tight heads which would be difficult in your sandy soil - they are commercially grown in areas with clay soil.  I would harvest and use them as they won't tighten up now.

If you grow them again, try planting the young plants as deeply as you can - right up to the bottom leaves and use your heel all around each one to firm the ground around the stalk.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you so much, does the same apply to broccoli?  I am trying them for the first time this year, but gave grown purple sprouting successfully before.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

Yes Amanda, firm planting applies to all brassicas and really helps. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.