Forum home Fruit & veg

Yellow Courgettes

Can anyone advise me please, we are growing yellow courgettes however the leaves are turning yellow is this normal if not what do we have to do. Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

Are you growing them in the ground?  They may need feeding if you didn't add anything to the soil before planting.  If in a container they will definitely need regular feeding.  Liquid tomato food would be good.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • We are growing them in containers, will try the liquid tomato food. Thanks, do I need to remove the yellow leaves?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

I would leave them on as they may green-up when fed.  If they turn brown then nip them off.  Once you start feeding any new leaves should be green - if they aren't check drainage in the containers.  While courgettes are really thirsty plants, they also need good drainage - if the roots stand permanently in wet soggy compost the plants will die.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

I've found that yellow courgettes do develop a yellowish tinge to the leaves - different to chlorosis or yellowing due to lack of nutrients or drainage problems  - but it won't do any harm to feed them as Bob has said.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you both that's a great help